Re: [art_education] Just Curious How are you utilized in your school?

  • Act Silly 4 Art
    Message 1 of 6 , May 4, 2006
      I teach Kinder and 1st during the 2nd half of the year.  5th - 8th the entire year.  I teach 2 (90 minute classes) each grade level 5th - 8th and 30 minutes once a week for 6 Kinder and 1st grades. I am also the Yearbook person and take care of all decorations for school events (Christmas Program, May Day, Concerts, etc.) I am clumped together under the title "SPECIALS" which includes PE, Religion, Computer, Band, Music, Spanish and Library.  Since I teach 5th - 8th for the entire year, I am considered a Middle School Teacher and attend all Middle School meetings, share in Middle School duties like chaperoning dances, and each teacher at my school (no matter what grade level or team) must do lunch, recess and pickup/dropoff duty.  Oh, and each teacher chooses 2 - 3 collateral duties that they lead through out the school year.  I work in a private school so it is pretty much expected that teachers attend all school functions, work fundraisers, attend teacher workdays, attend all school masses, attend special masses for teachers on non-work days, and attend staff meetings as well as Middle or Lower School team meetings every other week after school.  Sometimes we are at school until 5pm.
      I'm glad you are asking this question, I often wonder whether it is greener on the other side of the fence.

      cat
      artzyteach <asouther1@...> wrote:
      Hi everyone,
      My school is currently working on scheduling for next year.  I was
      wondering how you are utilized in your school?  Are you part of a
      specials/unified arts team? Are you linked to grade level teams?  How
      often do you see you students and how long are the periods?  Do you
      have to to duties?  In my school the core teachers are pushing to link
      us (Unified arts teachers) to their teams to reduce class size (by
      four students per class), this will also reduce contact time to about
      35 minutes per class.  They also want us to have a homeroom, cover ALL
      lunch duties and possible bus duties.  I am feeling very
      frustrated.Especially about the reduction of contact time - in 35
      minutes I will no longer beable to do plaster with my students.  I am
      a middle school level teacher.  I would appreciate any feedback I can get.

    • Kelli Wilke

        Message 3 of 6 , May 7, 2006
          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "artzyteach" <asouther1@...>
          wrote:

          Middle School grades 6-8 public school in WA with 600+ students

          >I was wondering how you are utilized in your school?
          Are you part of a> specials/unified arts team?
          We are "unified Arts" and we get a monthly meeting time (afterschool
          but during contract time) and currently we have a common planning time.
          There are only 2 of us if you don't include band, then there is 3. So
          we never have much to meet about... since there is really NO
          unification about our subjects. I teach art, computers and drama. Doug
          teaches shop and Home and family life. The two of us work well togehter
          and help each other out a lot. But do not unifiy our curriculum or
          anything.

          >Are you linked to grade level teams? Nope, and don't ever really meet
          or interact with them much. Which can be lonely too... our rooms are
          away from everyone else so we are physically isolated too.

          How often do you see you students and how long are the periods?
          Daily for 12 week trimesters with a new group coming in the next tri.
          We have 6 periods out of a 7 period day. Mixed grades in each class Our
          period is 50 minutes but we have to take time out to do period points
          for our Make Your Day school-wide discpline system. So with clean-up,
          set-up and points it feels like 30 mins a day.

          >Do you have to to duties?
          Everyone has hall duties. No teacher have lunch, bus or playground
          duties we have aids and the admin and counseling staff all do lunch. We
          have two mandatory "call-backs" per year which are evening
          meetings/events like 5th grade orientation or 8th grade graduation.
          Other than that we may choose to involve ourselves in other things
          within the school. I do run two after school clubs neither of which
          recieve school financial support. So I do them because I want to. We
          have weekly staff meetings that are ALL school. and we have to go to
          any IEP meetings scehduled for any student that we have. Which can add
          up when you have 180 students at any given time. (that is our contract
          max per day) We don't have to go to dances or concerts or games... the
          kids like it if we do, but there is no pressure for staff to attend.
          Which of course means when I have an art show, no other teachers show
          up either.

          >Our only "homeroom" type of thing is an irregular "star" class where
          kids work on a student protfolio that they present at end of year
          student-led conferences. This year UAs don't have a Star Class. We did
          last year, but it didn't really work since they were kids we never saw
          except for these few times so they changed it to be a teacher the kids
          would have all year for consistency and connection.

          I personally spend about an hour before and another hour after school
          (outside of our paid time) each day pretty much keeping up on classroom
          things.

          We are in negotiations this summer, so who knows what next year will
          hold.

          Sheba~Cynthia Artist/ Educator "multi-faceted creative visionary"
          The ART Site
          http://www.sheba-kitty-productions.com/
          The School Site
          http://thevirtualclassroom.org/
        • Diane Purdie
          Message 4 of 6 , May 8, 2006

            Not belong in my own school?  I just found out from on of the classroom teachers that admin was moving my art room for the second year on a row to what “used to be” the library.  No one had thought to mention it to me.

            Anyway, I’m in a Montessori school, so the “specialty” classes (computers, gym, French, music and art) aren’t scheduled in the morning as there’s some Montessori thing about the kids not being interrupted while they’re fresh.  (I’m not Montessori trained).  So art is scheduled in the afternoons for two 60 minute periods during a 6 day cycle.   I have around 200 kids from levels one through seven, and see 1/2s, 3/4s, etc. for that one hour.   Class sizes are between 18 and 21 kids for the most part with some classes smaller.   I have declined to perform other duties (tutoring, subbing, and whatever other loose tasks there are) that would keep me there full time, and work part-time instead, which has suited me quite well, as I do my own artwork in the am and enjoy the kids in the pm.  I do, however, teach drama when needed, which this year has worked out to one extra class.  I also run three after school clubs (art, improv/drama and cartooning) where as most teachers are required to do only one.  It works out to about 18-20 hours a week on paper (the one I get paid with), and is closer to 25-30 real time, dependent as well on art shows, school plays, etc. etc.  Prep time is a half hour after class and before clubs, which is never enough by this time of the year as I seem to have accumulated a half dozen different projects on the go, concurrently.

            My room is used for meetings, tutoring, and heaven knows what else during the mornings so I have to keep it fairly clean, and struggle for storage, especially for sculpture and drying prints.  I keep bookshelves with narrow shelves for each class, where they keep their work in large construction-paper folders.  Most of the time, it works quite well, except when things are wet and sticky.

            The specialty teachers meet occasionally; although it would be useful to have more knowledge of what’s going on in the classroom side….but that’s another issue.  I’m very content to stay out of school stews, stay focused with the kids, and bring home enough coin to buy my own art supplies.  Yep, it suits me fine.  Ask me in three weeks as our own annual exhibition, French café, senior school play and elementary International Night all have to shine, pretty much at the same time….and we all know who’s job it is to paint sets and make things pretty!

            Diane Purdie

             If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito.

            Anonymous

            Aunt Alice's Art Room

            Diapositive

            Industrial Art

            Little Black Sketchbook

            Trying so very hard to be perfect

            Message 5 of 6 , May 8, 2006
              I was wondering how you are utilized in your school? Are you part of
              a specials/unified arts team? Are you linked to grade level teams?

              I teach in an 8/9 grade middle school, and we have a house system.
              Each house (3 in a grade level, so 6 grade level houses). We are
              considered an "elective course", although Art is required at our 6/7
              middle school. We (art, music, FACS, gym, health, tech ed) are
              considered the Rainbow house. Basically, the Rainbow house consists
              of anyone that doesn't directly relate to the "core" subjects, which
              means there are 20-some of us, and only 5 "core" teachers per house.
              We are not specifically linked to any grade level teams, although it
              is highly recommended that we attach ourselves to a "core" teacher
              team and attend their team meetings. We are supposed to meet with the
              team with whom most of our students are associated with.
              The teams have a team-planning time everyday, 1- 40 min. period, in
              addition to a homeroom time. Many of the rainbow classes are centered
              around when the teams are meeting, as we have students when we are
              supposed to be meeting with the other teachers...

              How often do you see you students and how long are the periods? Do
              you have to to duties?

              We have anywhere from 17 kids (my 3d Art class last semester) to 32
              kids (my 3d Art class this semester). Classes are 40 minutes long,
              and we have 8 periods. We do not have any specific duties as a
              Rainbow house. However all the teachers are expected to sign up for a
              hall duty day/time (morning, or afternoon). It seems that the Rainbow
              house teachers are the ones that are always out supervising, though.
              Teachers sign up for lunchroom duty, and get paid extra for "losing"
              their lunch. Not all teachers get lunchroom duty, and from what I
              understand, there is quite a line for this.

              This year many things have changed in our schools. We are getting
              ready to become a true 6-8 middle school, and thus are trying to
              figure out classes, which grade level gets offered what, what should
              be required. For whatever reason, a general music (not Art, facs, or
              tech ed) will now be required for all 8th graders (which none of the
              music teachers want to teach) for a full semester. We are also
              offering foreign languages in 8th grade, but not limiting the number
              of students allowed to take the language. Because of this (and budget
              issues), we are losing several gym, FACS, in addition to myself. So
              my district is going through many changes as well.

              Jessica