Re: [art_education] Papier mache flowers?

  • Dodi Schwab
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3 8:39 PM
      Hi Rivka--
      I think you can apply papier mache over anything you want to use for the flower shape.  For instance:  You could cut and tape small cardboard flowers with something mounded or glued in the center for dimensionality, small balloons barely inflated could be covered with strips leaving a small space by the knot--from that space cut down into petal shapes (tulip), make a small roll of newspaper (straw sized) soak it in your glue solution and shape into flower shape for a framework.  Soaking newspaper overnight in wheatpaste (wallpaper paste) solution makes a kind of mush--but the ink makes it messy.

      Depending on how heavy the paper is and how many layers you apply, it could take a while to dry. I like to do about 8 layers, with alternating layers going in opposite directions--one horizontal, then one vertical, and so on.  I once used brown craft paper for papier mache, and it took a very long time for each layer to dry.  Newsprint is thinner and quicker to dry.  I have used wallpaper paste and Elmer's glue thinned with water for the solution.  Both work well, but the wallpaper paste cannot be held over once it is mixed--you should use the mixture at one session and mix a new batch each time.

      We made papier mache bowls one year using small styrofoam bowls as a mold.  A light coat of Vaseline on the bowls was used as a release agent.  Once they were dry, they were painted with acrylic paints--and came out quite nicely.

      Dodi

      Rivka Kehaty <rivkakehaty@...> wrote:
        I am trying to decide between making the flowers with wire, masking tape and glue/water dripping newspaper strips OR papier mache clay, if the price is not too expensive.  Anyone do this project before?  How did it go and how long did it take?

    • Peri Raygor-Yanez
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2006
        > Try Carol Duvall's website at hgtv.
        Here is one lesson with photos.
        http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_paper_crafts/article/
        0,1789,HGTV_3287_1390493,00.html
        Have fun, (I loved making flowers when I was a high schooler).

        Peri