RE: [art_education] Making Lesson Plans

  • Hillmer, Jan
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2 5:04 AM
      Hi Gina,

      Early in my teaching, I taught the same lesson to 2 consecutive grades.
      It simplified planning for me. Now however, because integrating with the
      classroom curriculum is something I strongly believe in, I teach a
      different lesson to each grade; sometimes modifying to meet the needs of
      a particular class within a grade. All lessons are tied to the
      Principles and Elements, with a variety of media used throughout the
      year. Into that hefty stew I add exposure to "master" artists whenever
      possible.

      Grouping grades together is wrong if you are teaching the lesson without
      taking into consideration the specific age and skill level of each
      group. That being said, you could easily teach the same lesson to the
      whole school, assuming you are gearing it up or down accordingly.

      Personally, whenever possible, I try to create lessons which, on the one
      hand, teach specific ideas, skills, etc., but also offer areas of
      freedom for the students, steering away from all of the projects looking
      the same. Those look like all of the students were thinking the same.
      Where's the creativity in that? Artists are adventurers, exploring new
      conceptual and visual territory. Like all adventurers, certain skills
      are required for safety, endurance, life sustenance. Then, the skills
      get honed moving into unexplored territory, farther and farther from
      home!

      Jan

      > Hello All,
      >
      > This is Gina from NJ. I have a quick question.
      > I recently judged an art contest locally and the other art teacher was
      > really negative and was putting down the current teacher whom had
      > replaced her retirement. The negative art teacher was saying how
      awful
      > this new one was because he lumped all the grades into the same lesson
      > plan. This kind of hit me hard because I do it too, to an extent.
      When
      > I made my lesson plans for this current school year (1st time
      > teaching), I grouped 1st-3rd together with same plans and 5th -7th
      with
      > the same and did different plans with k, 4th, and 8th.
      > Is this wrong?

    • familyerickson
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2 5:48 AM
        <<<Artists are adventurers, exploring new
        conceptual and visual territory.  Like all adventurers, certain skills
        are required for safety, endurance, life sustenance.  Then, the skills
        get honed moving into unexplored territory, farther and farther from
        home!>>>
        Jan, Loved this explanation of the creative process.   Very well said.   And also a concept kids could understand.   I currently have one 5th grade class doing a fantastic job on sports action figures and one 5th grade class whining and moaning about how it is too hard.   Think I'll share your quote with them this Thurs. as I motivate them to reach beyond their comfort zone.   Thanks for taking time to write.
        Cindy