Re: [art_education] Making Lesson Plans

  • Ainsley Burdell
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2, 2006
      Dear Gina,
      My school is Core Learning Outcomes based and the Education Department
      groups outcomes into 4 levels for primary/elementary students:
      Level 1 - Prep/1
      Level 2 - grades 2/3
      Level 3 - grades 4/5
      Level 4 - grades 6/7
      This is only my second year of teaching but I am working towards a
      two-year planning cycle, covering different art media and themes in
      each term - e.g 3-D construction/built environment; portraits/About Me;
      ceramics/the natural world and so on. That way, while students are
      spending two years working to a level's outcomes, they are exploring
      different media and thematic ideas over the eight terms.
      Do others work in a similar fashion?
      Ainsley Burdell

      > Hello All,
      >
      > This is Gina from NJ. I have a quick question.
      > I recently judged an art contest locally and the other art teacher was
      > really negative and was putting down the current teacher whom had
      > replaced her retirement. The negative art teacher was saying how awful
      > this new one was because he lumped all the grades into the same lesson
      > plan. This kind of hit me hard because I do it too, to an extent. When
      > I made my lesson plans for this current school year (1st time
      > teaching), I grouped 1st-3rd together with same plans and 5th -7th with
      > the same and did different plans with k, 4th, and 8th.
      > Is this wrong?

    • Hillmer, Jan
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 2006
        Hi Gina,

        Early in my teaching, I taught the same lesson to 2 consecutive grades.
        It simplified planning for me. Now however, because integrating with the
        classroom curriculum is something I strongly believe in, I teach a
        different lesson to each grade; sometimes modifying to meet the needs of
        a particular class within a grade. All lessons are tied to the
        Principles and Elements, with a variety of media used throughout the
        year. Into that hefty stew I add exposure to "master" artists whenever
        possible.

        Grouping grades together is wrong if you are teaching the lesson without
        taking into consideration the specific age and skill level of each
        group. That being said, you could easily teach the same lesson to the
        whole school, assuming you are gearing it up or down accordingly.

        Personally, whenever possible, I try to create lessons which, on the one
        hand, teach specific ideas, skills, etc., but also offer areas of
        freedom for the students, steering away from all of the projects looking
        the same. Those look like all of the students were thinking the same.
        Where's the creativity in that? Artists are adventurers, exploring new
        conceptual and visual territory. Like all adventurers, certain skills
        are required for safety, endurance, life sustenance. Then, the skills
        get honed moving into unexplored territory, farther and farther from
        home!

        Jan

        > Hello All,
        >
        > This is Gina from NJ. I have a quick question.
        > I recently judged an art contest locally and the other art teacher was
        > really negative and was putting down the current teacher whom had
        > replaced her retirement. The negative art teacher was saying how
        awful
        > this new one was because he lumped all the grades into the same lesson
        > plan. This kind of hit me hard because I do it too, to an extent.
        When
        > I made my lesson plans for this current school year (1st time
        > teaching), I grouped 1st-3rd together with same plans and 5th -7th
        with
        > the same and did different plans with k, 4th, and 8th.
        > Is this wrong?

      • familyerickson
        Message 3 of 7 , May 2, 2006
          <<<Artists are adventurers, exploring new
          conceptual and visual territory.  Like all adventurers, certain skills
          are required for safety, endurance, life sustenance.  Then, the skills
          get honed moving into unexplored territory, farther and farther from
          home!>>>
          Jan, Loved this explanation of the creative process.   Very well said.   And also a concept kids could understand.   I currently have one 5th grade class doing a fantastic job on sports action figures and one 5th grade class whining and moaning about how it is too hard.   Think I'll share your quote with them this Thurs. as I motivate them to reach beyond their comfort zone.   Thanks for taking time to write.
          Cindy