RE: fake flowers student pots

  • Michael Gerrish
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2006
      You can make fake flowers as follows...
      -Use bamboo skewers for the flower stems
      -Create a flower petal design with tabs using Photoshop Elements or similar

      program...in a pinch you could use the pinwheel design
      -cut out flower design, glue tabs together to form flower
      -attach paper flower to bamboo skewer with Elmer's glue and pony bead

      I did this last year for superintendent's district banquet centerpieces.
      They turned out great.

      Michael Gerrish
      Michael Gerrish, Artist and Educator
      WhyART.com
      159 1st St • Troy, NY 12180
      mrg@...

      From: "THICKPUP@..." THICKPUP@...
      2. Type of art cart...any recommendations?
      From: "THICKPUP@..." THICKPUP@...
      3. Re: Type of art cart...any recommendations?
      From: "smjahnle@..." smjahnle@...
      4. Irish art
      From: "Meghan Bailin" meghcallie@...
      5. Papier mache flowers?
      From: "Rivka Kehaty" rivkakehaty@...
      6. My new all school project-adhering paper to tiles with Mod Podge?
      From: "Cathy Gaul" allgaul@...
      7. Re: Papier mache flowers?
      From: "CYNTHIA MILLOY" cbmilloy@...
      8. etching aluminum
      From: "Kris Fontes" kfontes2@...
      9. Re: etching aluminum
      From: "go4art@..." go4art@...
      10. Play Clay and Drawing Classes in Singapore
      From: "Garie Sim" garie@...
      11. Re: Irish art
      From: "Ann Carolan" acarolan@...

      Message 1
      From: "THICKPUP@..." THICKPUP@...
      Date: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:45am(PDT)
      Subject: Re: art on a cart - grading, etc.

      Thanks for info....looks like I'm off to Costco.
      jan

      Message 2
      From: "THICKPUP@..." THICKPUP@...
      Date: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:50am(PDT)
      Subject: Type of art cart...any recommendations?

      Thanks for the info on being on the cart! Like I said its been 10 years
      since I've been on the cart so its great to receive all this valuable
      information.
      One other question...I can order any cart I want and have been looking
      through many catalogues. Any recommendations?
      jan

      Message 3
      From: "smjahnle@..." smjahnle@...
      Date: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:48am(PDT)
      Subject: Re: Type of art cart...any recommendations?

      Hi! See the page at
      _http://www.classroomdirect.com/cgi-bin/sgsh0108.exe?SKW=webdiv09,Art,Cart,&
      UID=2006043013343645&FNM=00&GEN9=main&CODIV=0108_
      (http://www.classroomdirect.com/cgi-bin/sgsh0108.exe?SKW=webdiv09,Art,Cart,&
      UID=2006043
      013343645&FNM=00&GEN9=main&CODIV=0108)
      for the cart I used when I was Art on a Cart (the cart is now "parked" in
      my
      new classroom and used as storage!! This is from the Classroom Direct
      catalog with good prices on paper also! See if you can get the cart with
      all the
      extra add-ons like the individual tubs for supplies, the 5-shelf paper
      rack,
      the easel rack (for reproductions) and large flat side basket (for large
      pads
      and reproductions).

      I kept related supplies in each tub, which I could remove and carry by the
      handle if needed. Have your students help you keep the tubs organized by
      collecting supplies and returning them to the proper tub. If you have
      access to
      a supply closet, it will be helpful to stock your cart daily according to
      the
      classes you have on a given day. Best of luck to you! SAndy J

      Message 4
      From: "Meghan Bailin" meghcallie@...
      Date: Sun Apr 30, 2006 0:58pm(PDT)
      Subject: Irish art

      Does anyone have any good Irish art lesson plans?
      Meghan

      ---------------------------------
      New Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Call regular phones from your PC and save
      big.

      Message 5
      From: "Rivka Kehaty" rivkakehaty@...
      Date: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:31pm(PDT)
      Subject: Papier mache flowers?

      Hello, I mostly lurk and get great ideas on this list, but this project has
      me stumped. I would like my art class to complete their handpainted flower
      pots with papier mache flowers. I've been searching all over for ideas and
      instructions, online and other, but can only find tissue paper flowers. I
      am trying to decide between making the flowers with wire, masking tape and
      glue/water dripping newspaper strips OR papier mache clay, if the price is
      not too expensive.

      Can anyone help me with instructions or point me in the direction of an
      online place for instructions for both ideas. Anyone do this project
      before? How did it go and how long did it take?

      Thank you so much in advance. I'll keep checking back!
      Rivka

      ---------------------------------
      Blab-away for as little as 1¢/min. Make PC-to-Phone Calls using Yahoo!
      Messenger with Voice.

      Message 6
      From: "Cathy Gaul" allgaul@...
      Date: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:35pm(PDT)
      Subject: My new all school project-adhering paper to tiles with Mod Podge?

      Hi all,
      I have to do a character Education project with the entire school and it is
      coming right up. We got 6" square white tiles donated and we are going to
      use the Underground Railroad and quilts as our theme (committee decided) and
      have the kids make tiles. We were going to use china paint, but this project
      is for K-5 and I have 360 kids to do it.
      I have basically 3 weeks to work with as well... so...
      I found paper die cut 1 1/2 squares in bright colors, 600 squares to a box
      and I think 7 different colors at Joanne Fabrics in the scrapbook section.
      We had a meeting and the committee agreed that it would be a lot quicker and
      easier with great results using the paper. The little ones could do easy
      patchworks and the older kids could divide squares into rectangles and
      triangles for more complicated patterns.
      Have you tried adhering paper to tile with Mod Podge? I thought that might
      do the trick and then decoupage on top of the finished quilt patch that way.
      I am trying it myself tonight or tomorrow but wondered if anyone has tried
      and succeeded with something like this.
      We are making 9 patch quilt squares and will have a 1/2 inch border around
      the edge of the paper pattern so the tiles can fit into a wooden channel
      that we will mount to the walls of the school and turn the tiles into a
      border. We are finding a good quote to go with the project and will arrange
      the tiles in a repeating group of 7-10 patterns (depends on what I want to
      do and how many I limit the kids to using that go with the Underground
      Railroad idea) with a character ed word in calligraphy painted on a tile
      with a nice border design of the same colors in the tiles.
      I have a bunch of fiction books to read as they work and I know the
      controversy as to whether quilts were actually used as signals for runaway
      slaves, but I will put that disclaimer out there before we start.

      Thanks for any ideas!

      Cathy

      Message 7
      From: "CYNTHIA MILLOY" cbmilloy@...
      Date: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:33pm(PDT)
      Subject: Re: Papier mache flowers?

      wire and paper mache(newspaper and glue) is your best bet. my suggestion.
      good luck
      cynthia

      _____

      From: "Kris Fontes" kfontes2@...
      Date: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:24pm(PDT)
      Subject: etching aluminum

      Does anyone know what chemical to use to etch aluminum?

      Message 9
      From: "go4art@..." go4art@...
      Date: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:58pm(PDT)
      Subject: Re: etching aluminum

      Kris, does this help? creatively, Linda in oregon

      http://www.art.eku.edu/programs/print/tech/aluminum.html

      FOUND THESE--
      "I'm using ferric chloride (FeCl3)"

      "10% Nitric acid, 1% Hydroflouric acid, and 89% Distilled water should do
      it"

      "If yours is a one time only operation the following generic answer might
      do: paint your artwork on the aluminum with acid resistant commercial
      enammel and immerse in a solution of caustic soda 30%. Little amount of
      dissolved aluminum residues and the soda will not harm the environment or
      the drainage pipes noticeably"

      http://modeltech.tripod.com/etchingarticle.htm "For etching aluminum, the
      ferric chloride is very strong and needs to be diluted at least 1:1 with
      water. A 2:1 solution usually works even better. Undiluted, the ferric
      chloride will make a smoking mess of aluminum, though it works just fine on
      copper or brass"

      Message 10
      From: "Garie Sim" garie@...
      Date: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:23pm(PDT)
      Subject: Play Clay and Drawing Classes in Singapore

      Hi,
      I am a teacher in Singapore teaching kids in clay and drawing for about 9
      years. My
      purpose of joining the group is to allow our kids to understand about others
      in the arts.
      Hopefully, in the future there's opportunity for our kids to have a cultural
      exchange in the
      arts.
      The link to our main workshop page,
      http://www.garieinternational.com.sg/clay/learning.htm