Re: [art_education] Making Lesson Plans

  • Liz Egan
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2006
      I do different plans for each grade level and variations for each class within the grade level. I am a middle school teacher and, new also.  I am trying to develop a sequence of learning within the art curriculum.  I try to take into account age-appropriate skills and projects for each grade level and plan ahead -- what do they need to know for fifth grade that will help them do more sophisticated work in sixth, etc.  Since I see my students daily for one quarter, by this time of year I am getting a lot of repeats and so I have several ways to present these skills and techniques in different types of projects.  It makes it fresh for them as well as me.

      Also, I try to do a drawing unit, painting unit, ceramics unit, and printmaking unit with each quarter -- everything builds on something else.

      Hope this helps.
      Liz Egan
      Westbrook Middle School
      Westbrook, CT
      ginamarie yacovelli <ginayac@...> wrote:
      Hello All,

      This is Gina from NJ. I have a quick question.
      I recently judged an art contest locally and the other art teacher was
      really negative and was putting down the current teacher whom had
      replaced her retirement. The negative art teacher was saying how awful
      this new one was because he lumped all the grades into the same lesson
      plan. This kind of hit me hard because I do it too, to an extent. When
      I made my lesson plans for this current school year (1st time
      teaching), I grouped 1st-3rd together with same plans and 5th -7th with
      the same and did different plans with k, 4th, and 8th.
      Is this wrong?
      Do you all have separate plans for each individual grade?
      I usually try to put a twist on the older class's lesson if it is one
      that is grouped so they do not feel like they are making the same art
      as the one's younger than them.
      Hopefully this all makes some sort of sense.

      I am just curious to see how you go about lesson planning, do you do
      one grade first for the year and then start the process again for the
      next grade?

      Just curious
      Thanks
      Gina

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Ainsley Burdell
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 2006
        Dear Gina,
        My school is Core Learning Outcomes based and the Education Department
        groups outcomes into 4 levels for primary/elementary students:
        Level 1 - Prep/1
        Level 2 - grades 2/3
        Level 3 - grades 4/5
        Level 4 - grades 6/7
        This is only my second year of teaching but I am working towards a
        two-year planning cycle, covering different art media and themes in
        each term - e.g 3-D construction/built environment; portraits/About Me;
        ceramics/the natural world and so on. That way, while students are
        spending two years working to a level's outcomes, they are exploring
        different media and thematic ideas over the eight terms.
        Do others work in a similar fashion?
        Ainsley Burdell

        > Hello All,
        >
        > This is Gina from NJ. I have a quick question.
        > I recently judged an art contest locally and the other art teacher was
        > really negative and was putting down the current teacher whom had
        > replaced her retirement. The negative art teacher was saying how awful
        > this new one was because he lumped all the grades into the same lesson
        > plan. This kind of hit me hard because I do it too, to an extent. When
        > I made my lesson plans for this current school year (1st time
        > teaching), I grouped 1st-3rd together with same plans and 5th -7th with
        > the same and did different plans with k, 4th, and 8th.
        > Is this wrong?

      • Hillmer, Jan
        Message 3 of 7 , May 2, 2006
          Hi Gina,

          Early in my teaching, I taught the same lesson to 2 consecutive grades.
          It simplified planning for me. Now however, because integrating with the
          classroom curriculum is something I strongly believe in, I teach a
          different lesson to each grade; sometimes modifying to meet the needs of
          a particular class within a grade. All lessons are tied to the
          Principles and Elements, with a variety of media used throughout the
          year. Into that hefty stew I add exposure to "master" artists whenever
          possible.

          Grouping grades together is wrong if you are teaching the lesson without
          taking into consideration the specific age and skill level of each
          group. That being said, you could easily teach the same lesson to the
          whole school, assuming you are gearing it up or down accordingly.

          Personally, whenever possible, I try to create lessons which, on the one
          hand, teach specific ideas, skills, etc., but also offer areas of
          freedom for the students, steering away from all of the projects looking
          the same. Those look like all of the students were thinking the same.
          Where's the creativity in that? Artists are adventurers, exploring new
          conceptual and visual territory. Like all adventurers, certain skills
          are required for safety, endurance, life sustenance. Then, the skills
          get honed moving into unexplored territory, farther and farther from
          home!

          Jan

          > Hello All,
          >
          > This is Gina from NJ. I have a quick question.
          > I recently judged an art contest locally and the other art teacher was
          > really negative and was putting down the current teacher whom had
          > replaced her retirement. The negative art teacher was saying how
          awful
          > this new one was because he lumped all the grades into the same lesson
          > plan. This kind of hit me hard because I do it too, to an extent.
          When
          > I made my lesson plans for this current school year (1st time
          > teaching), I grouped 1st-3rd together with same plans and 5th -7th
          with
          > the same and did different plans with k, 4th, and 8th.
          > Is this wrong?

        • familyerickson
          Message 4 of 7 , May 2, 2006
            <<<Artists are adventurers, exploring new
            conceptual and visual territory.  Like all adventurers, certain skills
            are required for safety, endurance, life sustenance.  Then, the skills
            get honed moving into unexplored territory, farther and farther from
            home!>>>
            Jan, Loved this explanation of the creative process.   Very well said.   And also a concept kids could understand.   I currently have one 5th grade class doing a fantastic job on sports action figures and one 5th grade class whining and moaning about how it is too hard.   Think I'll share your quote with them this Thurs. as I motivate them to reach beyond their comfort zone.   Thanks for taking time to write.
            Cindy