My new all school project-adhering paper to tiles with Mod Podge?

  • Cathy Gaul
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30 2:15 PM
      Hi all,
      I have to do a character Education project with the entire school and it is coming right up. We got 6" square white tiles donated and we are going to use the Underground Railroad and quilts as our theme (committee decided) and have the kids make tiles. We were going to use china paint, but this project is for K-5 and I have 360 kids to do it.
      I have basically 3 weeks to work with as well... so...
      I found paper die cut 1 1/2 squares in bright colors, 600 squares to a box  and I think 7 different colors at Joanne Fabrics in the scrapbook section. We had a meeting and the committee agreed that it would be a lot quicker and easier with great results using the paper. The little ones could do easy patchworks and the older kids could divide squares into rectangles and triangles for more complicated patterns.
      Have you tried adhering paper to tile with Mod Podge? I thought that might do the trick and then decoupage on top of the finished quilt patch that way. I am trying it myself tonight or tomorrow but wondered if anyone has tried and succeeded with something like this.
      We are making 9 patch quilt squares and will have a 1/2 inch border around the edge of the paper pattern so the tiles can fit into a wooden channel that we will mount to the walls of the school and turn the tiles into a border. We are finding a good quote to go with the project and will arrange the tiles in a repeating group of 7-10 patterns (depends on what I want to do and how many I limit the kids to using that go with the Underground Railroad idea) with a character ed word in calligraphy painted on a tile with a nice border design of the same colors in the tiles.
      I have a bunch of fiction books to read as they work and I know the controversy as to whether quilts were actually used as signals for runaway slaves, but I will put that disclaimer out there before we start.

      Thanks for any ideas!

      Cathy

    • Jessica
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2006
        There is a book I just found at my local library, called "Perfect
        Paper Mosaics" by Susan Seymour. It's a very interesting book, and
        addresses how to adhere paper to varous objects. It may help you
        figure out what to use, and how best to use the medium. I don't
        recall off-hand if it says to use Mod Podge, or some other medium,
        but I would recommend everyone just look at it for ideas! Very
        unique, and unusual ideas.

        Jessica

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Cathy Gaul" <allgaul@...>