Re: [art_education] Back on the cart

  • Dodi Schwab
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 26, 2006
      For 2D (flat) artwork, my students are responsible to put it in their portfolio at the end of class.  We make these the first class of the year with posterboard stapled on three sides and embellished by the students.  These portfolios are kept in their classroom, and I come in and take out the whole pile periodically and grade their material and look over sketches, etc.  This doesn't work for me unless the rules are clearly stated in that first class (with frequent reminders throughout the year)--it's their responsibility to see that their work makes it into the portfolio--if it's not in there to be graded, that's their problem.  Sometimes, for instance, when I leave the class, a painting is not dry--so they must get it into their portfolio when it is dry.

      I confess we do very little 3D because logistically it's difficult.  The few projects we've done that can't go into the portfolio I try to display in a hall or classroom.  If it's a classroom, I grade it when the students are out.  The hallway is easier in this respect, but sometimes the non-art students ruin the artwork!

      Dodi

      THICKPUP@... wrote:
        All those on a cart...how do you grade their work? Right there and then when they finish...or do you collect the work and end up with tons of artwork squeezed in whatever space you have while you grade it?
      jan

    • familyerickson
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 27, 2006
        I have uploaded photos of our K-5 Art Show to the yahoo picture section.
        You will have to log on to view the folder which is called Art Show Winners 2006
        This is my first time to try doing this so I hope I did it correctly.
        Cindy

      • aliteachesart
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 28, 2006
          I too taught on a cart for a few years half day /half in the art room. Do you have a storage
          space/office? You can keep work in large folders there and load up the cart for a few
          classes at a time. My advice is to be very selective with what you keep for the art show,
          sticking a computer generated label on it and storing it in your space (or the teacher's
          closet?). Most classroom teachers will feel your pain and work with you to keep works in
          progress somewhere safe.

          Being organized will keep your day running very smoothly (remind your principle this is
          working b/c you made it work- not b/c its easy). You could have the kids keep a sketch
          folder in their desks, for notes, sketches, work sheets and free draw when they finish
          early. Keep doing paint and 3-D work! Make up some place mats from vynil table cloths
          or shower curtains. Keep a supply of yogurt cups for water (I'm assuming classes have
          sinks- if not you'll need a bucket) and get some rubbermaid shoeboxes with lids for paint
          brushes and wet stuff (these stack graet on a cart).

          You'll be suprised how well students will work at their desk and share supplies with their
          neighbors. Most of your favorite lessons will translate just fine-even the messy ones. Art
          a la cart is a great way to get interdisiplinary lessons going with home room teachers too.
          If you keep your grade book handy during class you can jot down a participation grade,
          effort, skill and keep track of who is absent while its still fresh in your mind and maybe
          have students do the same in their sketch folder. If you have a digital camera you could
          keep virtual portfolios or have the kids be responsible for it if they are old enough.
          Just think- no room to keep clean (but then again-do you have to clean out the art room!
          OY!) Good luck, you'll do great! Ali B. p.s. get a white board for your cart too