Re: [art_education] Quick clay ideas.

  • KATHY TROTT
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 7, 2006
      In regards to quick and sophisticated...thumb masks! Start with a ball
      of clay smaller than a ping pong ball. Add a depression with your thumb
      (hence, the name). Pinch a nose or beak shape. Depress eyes and mouth
      with fingernail or small sticks (gold tees work as a nice two ended
      tool). Add designs, if desired ( history of masks good...African,
      Native American, etc.). Add a small hole to the top so that it can be
      used as a pendant on a heavy cord. After bisque firing, we spray
      painted them black, gold, or silver and then rubbed with a contrasting
      color into the depressions.
      Hope this helps.

      >>> allison.keenan@... 04/03/06 04:37PM >>>

      I currently teach in a K-6 school and have 30 min. a week with
      each class.
      This had been a challenge with regards to completing clay projects. I
      have
      done beads with 1st, pinch pot mugs with 2nd and drape mold bowls with
      third. My sixth graders have seen this and are now begging to do clay.
      I'm
      having trouble thinking of something sophisticated (and we all know
      how
      finicky sixth graders can be) enough for sixth graders that can be
      complete
      in 30min. Any ideas? It would be much appreciated.

      Allison

      Yahoo! Groups Links