Re: Quick clay idea - Ceramic Frame Weaving

  • sophybluedagmar
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3, 2006
      Those Kris Fontes ceramic looms are so neat! Very very very cool.
      Sophy

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "jdecker4art" <judy.decker@...> wrote:

      > Hi Allison and all,
      >
      > Kris Fontes ceramic looms for weaving can be made in one short class
      > period:
      > http://www.krisfontes.com/ceramic_looms.htm
      > You will need plenty of texture panels.
      > Kris did these with 7th grade. I have seen it done with 5th - so 6th
      > should be able to handle it. The following week, they give the frame a
      > watercolor stain - then acrylic gloss finish. They select their warp
      > colors and weft colors. The next week, they do the weaving (and can
      > finish at home if you don't get done weaving. Adding some ribbon will
      > take up more space and require lesson yarn.
      >
      > Most of the lesson ideas I have take more than one periods. Leaf
      > impression bowls can be done in one period - tie in science too.
      >
      > Judy Decker
      >
      > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com,Allison wrote:
      > My sixth graders have seen this and are now begging to do clay. I'm
      > > having trouble thinking of something sophisticated (and we all know
      > how
      > > finicky sixth graders can be) enough for sixth graders that can be
      > complete
      > > in 30min. Any ideas? It would be much appreciated.
      > > Allison

    • Susan Bennett
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 5, 2006
        Hi,
        I like the frames. What size approximately? Also I was counting the holes for the yarn or string, any hints there?
         There appear to be 4 pairs of two, but a few loan holes, at one of the sides?
        Thanks Susan

        jdecker4art <judy.decker@...> wrote:
        Hi Allison and all,

        Kris Fontes ceramic looms for weaving can be made in one short class
        period:
        http://www.krisfontes.com/ceramic_looms.htm
        You will need plenty of texture panels.
        Kris did these with 7th grade. I have seen it done with 5th - so 6th
        should be able to handle it. The following week, they give the frame a
        watercolor stain - then acrylic gloss finish. They select their warp
        colors and weft colors. The next week, they do the weaving (and can
        finish at home if you don't get done weaving. Adding some ribbon will
        take up more space and require lesson yarn.

        Most of the lesson ideas I have take more than one periods. Leaf
        impression bowls can be done in one period - tie in science too.

        Judy Decker

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com,Allison wrote:
        My sixth graders have seen this and are now begging to do clay. I'm
        > having trouble thinking of something sophisticated (and we all know
        how
        > finicky sixth graders can be) enough for sixth graders that can be
        complete
        > in 30min. Any ideas? It would be much appreciated.
        > Allison

      • KATHY TROTT
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 7, 2006
          In regards to quick and sophisticated...thumb masks! Start with a ball
          of clay smaller than a ping pong ball. Add a depression with your thumb
          (hence, the name). Pinch a nose or beak shape. Depress eyes and mouth
          with fingernail or small sticks (gold tees work as a nice two ended
          tool). Add designs, if desired ( history of masks good...African,
          Native American, etc.). Add a small hole to the top so that it can be
          used as a pendant on a heavy cord. After bisque firing, we spray
          painted them black, gold, or silver and then rubbed with a contrasting
          color into the depressions.
          Hope this helps.

          >>> allison.keenan@... 04/03/06 04:37PM >>>

          I currently teach in a K-6 school and have 30 min. a week with
          each class.
          This had been a challenge with regards to completing clay projects. I
          have
          done beads with 1st, pinch pot mugs with 2nd and drape mold bowls with
          third. My sixth graders have seen this and are now begging to do clay.
          I'm
          having trouble thinking of something sophisticated (and we all know
          how
          finicky sixth graders can be) enough for sixth graders that can be
          complete
          in 30min. Any ideas? It would be much appreciated.

          Allison

          Yahoo! Groups Links