Re: Quick clay idea - Ceramic Frame Weaving

  • jdecker4art
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3 2:04 PM
      Hi Allison and all,

      Kris Fontes ceramic looms for weaving can be made in one short class
      period:
      http://www.krisfontes.com/ceramic_looms.htm
      You will need plenty of texture panels.
      Kris did these with 7th grade. I have seen it done with 5th - so 6th
      should be able to handle it. The following week, they give the frame a
      watercolor stain - then acrylic gloss finish. They select their warp
      colors and weft colors. The next week, they do the weaving (and can
      finish at home if you don't get done weaving. Adding some ribbon will
      take up more space and require lesson yarn.

      Most of the lesson ideas I have take more than one periods. Leaf
      impression bowls can be done in one period - tie in science too.

      Judy Decker

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com,Allison wrote:
      My sixth graders have seen this and are now begging to do clay. I'm
      > having trouble thinking of something sophisticated (and we all know
      how
      > finicky sixth graders can be) enough for sixth graders that can be
      complete
      > in 30min. Any ideas? It would be much appreciated.
      > Allison
    • sophybluedagmar
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 3 3:34 PM
        Those Kris Fontes ceramic looms are so neat! Very very very cool.
        Sophy

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "jdecker4art" <judy.decker@...> wrote:

        > Hi Allison and all,
        >
        > Kris Fontes ceramic looms for weaving can be made in one short class
        > period:
        > http://www.krisfontes.com/ceramic_looms.htm
        > You will need plenty of texture panels.
        > Kris did these with 7th grade. I have seen it done with 5th - so 6th
        > should be able to handle it. The following week, they give the frame a
        > watercolor stain - then acrylic gloss finish. They select their warp
        > colors and weft colors. The next week, they do the weaving (and can
        > finish at home if you don't get done weaving. Adding some ribbon will
        > take up more space and require lesson yarn.
        >
        > Most of the lesson ideas I have take more than one periods. Leaf
        > impression bowls can be done in one period - tie in science too.
        >
        > Judy Decker
        >
        > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com,Allison wrote:
        > My sixth graders have seen this and are now begging to do clay. I'm
        > > having trouble thinking of something sophisticated (and we all know
        > how
        > > finicky sixth graders can be) enough for sixth graders that can be
        > complete
        > > in 30min. Any ideas? It would be much appreciated.
        > > Allison

      • Susan Bennett
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 5 7:28 AM
          Hi,
          I like the frames. What size approximately? Also I was counting the holes for the yarn or string, any hints there?
           There appear to be 4 pairs of two, but a few loan holes, at one of the sides?
          Thanks Susan

          jdecker4art <judy.decker@...> wrote:
          Hi Allison and all,

          Kris Fontes ceramic looms for weaving can be made in one short class
          period:
          http://www.krisfontes.com/ceramic_looms.htm
          You will need plenty of texture panels.
          Kris did these with 7th grade. I have seen it done with 5th - so 6th
          should be able to handle it. The following week, they give the frame a
          watercolor stain - then acrylic gloss finish. They select their warp
          colors and weft colors. The next week, they do the weaving (and can
          finish at home if you don't get done weaving. Adding some ribbon will
          take up more space and require lesson yarn.

          Most of the lesson ideas I have take more than one periods. Leaf
          impression bowls can be done in one period - tie in science too.

          Judy Decker

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com,Allison wrote:
          My sixth graders have seen this and are now begging to do clay. I'm
          > having trouble thinking of something sophisticated (and we all know
          how
          > finicky sixth graders can be) enough for sixth graders that can be
          complete
          > in 30min. Any ideas? It would be much appreciated.
          > Allison

        • KATHY TROTT
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 7 4:40 AM
            In regards to quick and sophisticated...thumb masks! Start with a ball
            of clay smaller than a ping pong ball. Add a depression with your thumb
            (hence, the name). Pinch a nose or beak shape. Depress eyes and mouth
            with fingernail or small sticks (gold tees work as a nice two ended
            tool). Add designs, if desired ( history of masks good...African,
            Native American, etc.). Add a small hole to the top so that it can be
            used as a pendant on a heavy cord. After bisque firing, we spray
            painted them black, gold, or silver and then rubbed with a contrasting
            color into the depressions.
            Hope this helps.

            >>> allison.keenan@... 04/03/06 04:37PM >>>

            I currently teach in a K-6 school and have 30 min. a week with
            each class.
            This had been a challenge with regards to completing clay projects. I
            have
            done beads with 1st, pinch pot mugs with 2nd and drape mold bowls with
            third. My sixth graders have seen this and are now begging to do clay.
            I'm
            having trouble thinking of something sophisticated (and we all know
            how
            finicky sixth graders can be) enough for sixth graders that can be
            complete
            in 30min. Any ideas? It would be much appreciated.

            Allison

            Yahoo! Groups Links