RE: [art_education] Re: Papier Mache Lesson idea for Pre-school

  • Nancy
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 3, 2006

      Hi Judy,

      This is great idea.  Next month we will be doing machines and we usually do a recycled type machine group project but it could be fun to have the pre-k kids do a robot.  What brand and where do I purchase (or can we make) the paper mache?

      I love this list serve group I get so many ideas (many I adapt) for our preschool art projects.  I also use the discussions here to guide what concepts we should ensure we introduce to create a love of art.  I myself (growing up in Calif and being a child of prop 13) did not have as much art in my school programs.

      Thank you!

      Nancy

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 4, 2006

        I also teach a pre-k class and we did our annual large paper mache project today.  We made a butterfly body to go with our current science unit.  I have found that they do best with fairly solid smooth shapes (we used 3 balloons taped together with masking tape) and shortish strips of newspaper – no longer than 4 or 5 inches. The last layer we apply is usually white newsprint but since I was out of it, I just used ripped up paper towels and they were fine.  I use just white flour and water with a little Elmer’s glue added for the goop.  It dries very hard and is easy to paint.  Be prepared to have it all down the front of your pants and on your shoes.  I put the kids in t-shirt smocks with plastic smocks over them and they stay fairly clean.  Also, it’s a good idea to tape newspaper to the floor around the table where they will be working.  It is impossible for them not to drip it all over the floor.  That said, they love to smooth the strips of paper on and they do a surprisingly good job of not leaving any edges sticking up.  I also teach them to put a dry piece over a particularly wet spot and smooth it out with goopy hands because they have a hard time taking the excess off the strips as they go. I really love watching them do this and the end result is always wonderful.  Adding the legs is a bit harder because it’s hard for them to paper around the joins – they need a fair bit of help.  When the butterfly is finished though, they are always so impressed with themselves that it’s worth all the mess.  Good luck.  I know you’ll have fun with it.

        Maude in VA

        This is very impressive!  Thank you for sharing.  I teach preschool and have been thinking of doing some paper mache projects – could anyone give me some tips on ingredients/process and how to attempt this with 4-6 yr olds.

        Thank you!

        Nancy

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • Nancy
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 5, 2006

          Maude,

          This is a wonderful description and details!  I feel so inspired.  Do you have any pictures?

          Thanks!!!!

          Nancy

        • Anna.Ball@k12.sd.us
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 5, 2006
            How do you keep your flour paper mache paste from getting moldy?
            --anna

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 5, 2006
              I never have any left over and the structure usually dries within a couple
              of days so it doesn't get moldy. I mix a new batch when it's time to add
              the legs.

              Maude in VA

              _____

              This is very impressive! Thank you for sharing. I teach preschool and have
              been thinking of doing some paper mache projects - could anyone give me some
              tips on ingredients/process and how to attempt this with 4-6 yr olds.

              Thank you!

              Nancy

              _____

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS