fiber arts and collage

  • carolinermartin@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2006
      Hello

      I am trying to compile a list of helpful advice for art teachers about different materials and put it into a brochure format.  Does anyone have any advice, tips or strategies that make collage or fiber arts teaching easier or more successful?

       I promise to post all that I have learned when I finish the project.

      Caroline
    • jdecker4art
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2006
        Hi Caroline,

        You are welcome to give out links to any information and lessons
        that are on Incredible Art Department. There is a nice handout for
        weaving and lesson tips for elementary fibers. I can not give you
        permission to publish the materials - but you can give links and
        brief description.

        Cardboard loom lesson with Elementary tips:
        http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/middle8.html

        Weaving Handout:
        http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/weave.htm

        There is also a simple cup weaving for elementary - and coiled
        baskets for older students. You will find silk painting for upper
        elementary on up. Wish I had more fiber arts lessons.

        You will find many collage lessons, too. Be sure to credit the
        lesson authors for any links you provide.

        MaryAnn Kohl posted some tips for starting weaving with pre-school.
        That is in the list archives. You might do a search for weaving. It
        was a few months ago.

        Best wishes with your project.

        Judy Decker

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Caroline wrote:

        > I am trying to compile a list of helpful advice for art teachers
        about different materials and put it into a brochure format. Does
        anyone have any advice, tips or strategies that make collage or
        fiber arts teaching easier or more successful?
      • egfmary
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3, 2006
          Caroline,
          I have found felt-making to be a very successful process to explore at
          the elementary level. I purchase carded wool bats or roving from local
          suppliers along with dyed and natural colored wool for the students (K-
          5). I put a few photos of felted pouches in the photos folder on this
          list.
          Enjoy!
        • Marty