Re: Clay leaves plaque (Photos section) - beautiful!

  • jdecker4art
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2006
      Hi Denise and all,

      > Well, I quickly found out that ceramic clay does not work for this
      > project!

      Let me guess - the firing clay stuck to the mold?

      If that was the problem you can spray just a bit a Pam on the mold
      and the clay will release. You can use real leaves quite nicely for
      this type of project (you don't even have to lift the leaf off the
      clay - it will burn off in the kiln).

      Denise - if you do the lesson with kids - send me one sample. I will
      add it to the leaf bowl lesson as a variation (linking to United
      Supply's lesson).

      Judy Decker

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Denise wrote:

      > I received some sample packs of the new Crayola Air-Dry clay at
      conference and I LOVE it.

      > I wanted to do this lesson from United Art & Education:
      >
      > http://www.unitednow.com/projects/displayproject.asp?txtProjNbr=80

      > Well, I quickly found out that ceramic clay does not work for this
      project! The Crayola clay worked great and I have uploaded a photo
      of the sample I made into a folder on the art_education site (Clay
      Leaves).

      > The clay works like ceramic clay and air dries to a fairly hard
      finish. Before we had this new school of ours, I had no kiln so I
      have had plenty of experience trying air-dry clays. Besides the
      plain white Sculpey, this is the best I have found.