Re: [art_education] Clay, clay, clay

  • Act Silly 4 Art
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2006
      Are you able to take your clay to another school to be fired or maybe to a ceramic shop that fires for a small fee?  I don't have a kiln at my school and probably never will because the buildings are so old and there are other factors beyond my control that prevents me from getting a kiln.  Anyway, I take my clay to a kiln at the ceramic shop that I purchase my clay from.  It's an hour drive from where I work and the days that they fire are not the greatest BUT my kids love working with clay and in the end it is worth the trouble.

      I use air dry clay and polymer clay for small projects but the kids don't care for it so I only use it for jewelry making or small picture frames.   I've also used paper clay which is like using papier mache mulch.  I use the paper clay with my Kinders to create mix media artwork and small bowls made with the paper clay and styrofoam bowls.

      My personal opinion, is if you can find a ceramic shop or a another school close by or even a college that is willing to fire your students pieces then I would do that instead of working with the other types of clay.

      Hope this helps,
      Cat

      katday2001 <neato23@...> wrote:
      It's that time of the year when we place the Big Order for next year.
      My kids love clay, but I don't know how much longer my 30 year old
      kiln can survive and there will be no replacement.  SO, how do air
      dry, oven-fired, and paper clay compare?  Is Super Sculpey worth the
      higher cost, or is that more for professionals?  They all sound great
      in the catalogues!  Thanks-- Kat

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

    • cen_aca_dp
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2006
        >===== Original Message From katday2001 <neato23@...> =====
        SO, how do air
        >dry, oven-fired, and paper clay compare? Thanks-- Kat

        I received some sample packs of the new Crayola Air-Dry clay at conference and
        I LOVE it.

        I wanted to do this lesson from United Art & Education:

        http://www.unitednow.com/projects/displayproject.asp?txtProjNbr=80

        Well, I quickly found out that ceramic clay does not work for this project!
        The Crayola clay worked great and I have uploaded a photo of the sample I made
        into a folder on the art_education site (Clay Leaves).

        The clay works like ceramic clay and air dries to a fairly hard finish. Before
        we had this new school of ours, I had no kiln so I have had plenty of
        experience trying air-dry clays. Besides the plain white Sculpey, this is the
        best I have found.

        Enjoy!

        Denise Pannell

        "Carry on, carry on, for the men and boys are gone, But the furrow shan't lie fallow while the women carry on." ~Janet Begbie
      • jdecker4art
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2006
          Hi Denise and all,

          > Well, I quickly found out that ceramic clay does not work for this
          > project!

          Let me guess - the firing clay stuck to the mold?

          If that was the problem you can spray just a bit a Pam on the mold
          and the clay will release. You can use real leaves quite nicely for
          this type of project (you don't even have to lift the leaf off the
          clay - it will burn off in the kiln).

          Denise - if you do the lesson with kids - send me one sample. I will
          add it to the leaf bowl lesson as a variation (linking to United
          Supply's lesson).

          Judy Decker