Matisse Collage Lesson Plan

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9, 2003
      Here is an elementary lesson from Weesie - Linda Wood's Coworker:
      Matisse Collage
      http://www.sjs.org/classes/lower/art/4thMatisseTHumbs/index.htm
      My Matisse lesson began with the children drawing groups of mannequins in
      various poses. We discussed showing action and motion in the human figure.
      Each table of four students had a group of mannequins they were allowed to
      pose as they wished to show movement. Next, I showed them many Matisse
      collage pieces for inspiration. We discussed geometric vs. organic
      shapes,positive and negative space, and the elements of color. They were
      each given a sheet of white paper and many sheets of varying colors, hole
      punchers, crazy scissors,and glue. They covered the white paper completely
      with the cutouts from the colored paper. Lastly they selected a mannequin
      pose from their original drawings to draw on black paper. They cut it out
      and placed it on top of their collage and...voila, they were done!

      I will eventually write this all up and put it on IAD - but wanted to get it
      out to you right away.

      Judy Decker - Ohio
      Jdecker@...
      http://www.incredibleart.tk