Re: [art_education] Re: Be Prepared for that Dream Job - tough interview question

  • Patricia Knott
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2006
      It's very disconcerting to think that a district does not have a
      curriculum in place. And that is just why there is such scrambling
      among art teachers when they are suddenly presented with the request.
      The National and State Art Education Associations work diligently to
      have art as a legitimate subject area with all the rationale and
      provisions suggested. When art becomes a teacher's "free for all"
      then it does just become hall decorations!!!
      Yes, there are national standards for art, but the states are not
      obligated to fulfill them. Most states also have standards and many
      districts put them on the back burner.

      My comment was only intended to inform that curriculum is not
      something to be taken lightly. If there is a curriculum, that is what
      you are obligated to follow.

      So my question becomes

      How do we insure that every district has an art curriculum?????
      My research indicates that the 2 biggest choices for entering
      college students is art/entertainment and medicine. If 17% of college
      students are choosing art as a career, how can we have schools that
      have no art curriculum?
      I certainly know the battle of fighting for the arts. I certainly
      know that when budgets get cut, art is the first to go. But I
      certainly know that my effort to make the battle is well worth it.

      I wonder how many art ed college students know that half their job
      will be to battle. To fight for time, to fight for rooms, to fight
      for curriculum.

      I continue to believe that all the great art advocacy statements fall
      on mostly deaf ears. And, no matter what in-roads many of us have
      made, we are all on the bottom of the list and in jeopardy of being
      cut at any moment .
      It's very sad to me that a kid putting gum on a valuable painting
      doesn't generate a discussion of just why this happened? Seems to
      me we get all bogged in techniques and forget the aesthetics and
      valuing.

      Patty
      P.S. I ALWAYS feel very deeply for those that have no money or
      support for the program. I can't imagine what i'd do with .20 cents
      per kid . How do you?????????