Museum Manners - How to plan your trip

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2006
      Dear Art Educators,

      Jan H. suggested there be something on Incredible Art Department for
      Museum Manners/Museum Etiquette.

      I will be enhancing what is stated on this page:
      http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/museum3.htm

      Here are some guidelines:
      http://www.museumspot.com/features/trip.htm

      The most important thing is for YOU to know what is expected from each
      museum. Some museums are strictly NO TOUCH (some do allow touching of
      some things).... and you can't even get close to look! (I have been
      warned when I got too close to look at brush technique).

      There are several good videos out about taking a visit to a museum. I
      previewed on that was very good (just don't remember the name - I'll
      look it up).

      Pam S. has seen this video - "Just Look" - and used it with her students.

      From Pam:

      The Met had at one time a wonderful video titled "Just Look" that I used
      with elementary kids and now use to help train my university students. The
      video interviews different workers at the museum (curators, guards,
      historians,. etc.)so careers are also introduced along with manners. You
      might check with the Met if this is available. I believe it was a video that
      they supplied to teachers who planned to visit the museum, so I don't know
      if it was or is widely available.

      The Art Institute of Chicago also has a manners video, but it is dreary
      dull.
      ---------------------------------

      I will do some searching to see if the Met video is still available...
      in the meantime... make your visits no gum (smile).

      Incredible Art Resources
    • Tanya Riehle
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2006
        Hi All, I just thought I would let you all know that the Olympic Pictogram
        unit went EXCELLENT and I have uploaded the pictures to artsonia so check
        them out!

        Next time I will have them do all tissue paper, similar to a stain glass
        effect.

        Tanya

        http://www.artsonia.com/museum/gallery.asp?project=43391
      • kayjay_p
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2006
          Congratulations on a job well done! Thank you for sharing. I enjoyed looking at them. I tried this with my 5th graders using pastels and white paper for the figures. They turned out decent also.

          Tanya Riehle <triehle@...> wrote:
          Hi All, I just thought I would let you all know that the Olympic Pictogram
          unit went EXCELLENT and I have uploaded the pictures to artsonia so check
          them out!

          Next time I will have them do all tissue paper, similar to a stain glass
          effect.

          Tanya

          http://www.artsonia.com/museum/gallery.asp?project=43391

          Fine art shipping Fine art giclee printing Buy fine art Art education Fine art inkjet paper Fine art printing