Aesthetic Issues in Art: Valuing Art - Current event to use

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2006
      Dear Art Educators,

      Folks are always asking for ideas for Aesthetics - here is a good one
      on valuing art.

      Heather posted this to ArtsEducators.

      12-year-old sticks gum onto $1.5M painting
      http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2006-03-01-painting_x.htm

      Prepare your kiddies so this never happens to them when they go to a
      museum.... I am not surprised that a 12 year old would think this was
      OK... just one of the reasons we were a NO Gum school. Kids just
      didn't know how to dispose of their gum properly.

      Image of the painting - I'd would try to find a bigger example.
      Helen Frankenthaler's 1963 painting, titled "The Bay,"
      http://www.boingboing.net/images/_news__photos_2006_03_01_painting-in.jpg

      Detroit Institute of Art's conservation department is researching the
      chemicals in
      the gum to decide which solvent to use to clean it.

      Middle school teachers... make sure they spit out their gum in the
      trash before entering the museum (smile). This one boy has learned the
      value of art... Maybe you can influence others.

      Incredible Art Resources
    • Hillmer, Jan