Re: Be Prepared for that Dream Job - tough interview question

  • aliteachesart
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
      > Curriculum is binding. Not following your district's curriculum
      could
      > mean your job. It is NOT something you make up.
      >

      > Patty and All,
      Not every district has a curriculum co-odinator for art, or a
      curriculum! They think the standards spell it out and we spin it
      into cute, creative projects (that happen to decorate the halls).
      AND should mix in diversity, interdiscplinary connections (ie test
      skills), be modified for all learners and cost .20 per student (per
      year). Oh, in 35 minutes or less every 6 days! Ali B.- on a
      response roll, sorry!

      > On Feb 28, 2006, at 8:36 AM, Judy Decker wrote:
      >
      > > Dear Art Educators,
      > >
      > > A Getty list member posted this:
      > >
      > > I went to an interview for a public school art job and
      > > the woman that interviewed me really threw me when she
      > > asked me to tell her the CURRICULUM for ALL grade
      > > levels in the following medias: painting, drawing and
      > > ceramics.

    • Patricia Knott
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2006
        It's very disconcerting to think that a district does not have a
        curriculum in place. And that is just why there is such scrambling
        among art teachers when they are suddenly presented with the request.
        The National and State Art Education Associations work diligently to
        have art as a legitimate subject area with all the rationale and
        provisions suggested. When art becomes a teacher's "free for all"
        then it does just become hall decorations!!!
        Yes, there are national standards for art, but the states are not
        obligated to fulfill them. Most states also have standards and many
        districts put them on the back burner.

        My comment was only intended to inform that curriculum is not
        something to be taken lightly. If there is a curriculum, that is what
        you are obligated to follow.

        So my question becomes

        How do we insure that every district has an art curriculum?????
        My research indicates that the 2 biggest choices for entering
        college students is art/entertainment and medicine. If 17% of college
        students are choosing art as a career, how can we have schools that
        have no art curriculum?
        I certainly know the battle of fighting for the arts. I certainly
        know that when budgets get cut, art is the first to go. But I
        certainly know that my effort to make the battle is well worth it.

        I wonder how many art ed college students know that half their job
        will be to battle. To fight for time, to fight for rooms, to fight
        for curriculum.

        I continue to believe that all the great art advocacy statements fall
        on mostly deaf ears. And, no matter what in-roads many of us have
        made, we are all on the bottom of the list and in jeopardy of being
        cut at any moment .
        It's very sad to me that a kid putting gum on a valuable painting
        doesn't generate a discussion of just why this happened? Seems to
        me we get all bogged in techniques and forget the aesthetics and
        valuing.

        Patty
        P.S. I ALWAYS feel very deeply for those that have no money or
        support for the program. I can't imagine what i'd do with .20 cents
        per kid . How do you?????????