Re: [art_education] (unknown)

  • Tor Arne Andreassen
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 8, 2002
      I just want general information about art. We have got this project at
      school. All I want is links, other projects or sites where there is
      information about art!
      Thank you for helping me.
      Tor Arne

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 9, 2002

        try  www.artlex.com   a super site with links to others

        Do You Yahoo!?
      • Robinson, Michael
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 21, 2007
          Camille Claudelle is a very sad but beautiful bio of a sculptor who worked with Rodin.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 29, 2011
              One of my schools did something

            In a message dated 8/29/2011 3:28:21 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, wright9293@... writes:

            I am looking for a class project to use as a fund raiser.  This is for a first grade class.  The parents and grandparents try to outbid each other to own the  project/art work.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

            Thank You
            Joyce Wright

          • Kidlfrndly@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 29, 2011
                One of my schools had a silent auction/tricky tray and asked for some artwork. I had classes work on collages where each student made a flower, etc, and then we composed it into a garden. One piece was made up of Monarch butterflies, there was a kindergarten mural that was done in the style of Lio Lionni.  Leaves, flowers. fish/sea themes also work because they are pretty much guaranteed to be a success.

               The bidding gets a little more interesting when there more people involved. Soon after 9/11,  I had done a huge piece with kindergarten kids' handprints in the shape of an American flag. It was more of a deep burgundy/berry color for the red and an indigo blue and received about $450. I think it was. A collage of some sort gives everyone an equal opportunity to work on a group piece, and still enables you to guide the project along as far as the composition, etc.  I've also had some classes do some really nice group pieces using crayon resist- watercolors painted over crayon or oil pastels on watercolor paper in light washes. I usually have everyone have some input on the composition, but with the younger students, I will often glue the piece together later to avoid any casualties.

                 Also, another one of my schools hosted an art auction as a fundraiser. The auction house (I think they were based in New York) works with different organizations like womans' clubs, etc and brings framed prints for sale, and the upside is that they had a pretty loyal following who would attend their auctions, and our school made a considerable profit from their purchases. Anyway, the auction house told the SCA (like the PTA) that we could place 20 student pieces in the auction. I had the  teachers vote on the pieces to be included and received permission from the parents to use their childrens' work, letting them know that they would be for sale in the auction. The auctioneer opened the bidding at $5 for each piece. For some reason, he got the crowd going on one piece, teasing the father to bid higher, etc, and that one went for $55. However, the rest of the pieces were started at $5 and ended at $5 because people didn't want to bid against the child's parent. Watching that nineteen times was just mind numbing boring. The group projects definitely inspired a lot more competitive bidding action. :)
              Lisa

              In a message dated 8/29/2011 3:28:21 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, wright9293@... writes:

              I am looking for a class project to use as a fund raiser.  This is for a first grade class.  The parents and grandparents try to outbid each other to own the  project/art work.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

              Thank You
              Joyce Wright

            • jdecker4art
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 29, 2011
                Thanks Lisa for your wonderful ideas.

                There are so many ways to raise money for your programs. Please keep the "Empty Bowl" fundraiser for what is was originally intended - to raise money for the hungry. The Empty Bowl Fundraiser has been around for many years to raise money for the hungry and increase awareness for those in need. I did an Empty bowl project with my sixth graders for many years. When the local food bank stopped serving the soup luncheon, we held our own silent auctions with all proceeds going to the Food Bank. We also had a food drive each year in conjunction with the Empty Bowl project. One year, the students brought in almost a ton (yes, a TON - the food bank weighed it) of food. A group of students stayed after school to sort the cans - green beans with green beans - an so forth. One year, the students helped serve the luncheon at the food bank (that year there was a school-wide emphasis on volunteerism).

                For the Empty Bowl project, my students always made two bowls - using different forming techniques and different decorating techniques. They got to choose which bowl to donate and which one to keep. Some parents wanted both bowls, so bid generously on the other one - and often donated money for the one their child was allowed to keep, too.