Re: Help w/ special needs students!!!

  • aliteachesart
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2006
      Hi Meghan,
      A couple of questions- did you modify the lesson for these students'
      abilites? What are their challenges (do they effect the ability to
      learn concepts/create the art you intended ie objectives. I teach
      elementary and have lots of mainstreamed students. I modify if/when
      they need it and have visual, step by step expectations written (for
      revrybody). Usually I ask "are you doing your best?"- often the
      answer is no and they will try harder, or this is when they ask for
      help, clarification etc. A child with learning challenges might
      need a different measuring stick on your part (but the same rubric.
      You could write with modifications on it or the report card if you
      feel more comfortable). Art class is a place for self expression
      and self esteem to soar! Ali B.
      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Meghan Bailin <meghcallie@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi everyone! This may be a really dumb question.....but I need
      some help! I'm a first year middle school art teacher. I have really
      LARGE classes...some have 30 students. I have about 3 special needs
      students per class and no aide. My question has to do with
      grading... When grading the project of a special needs student, do
      you grade on the same level as other students or do you grade
      according to that students' abililty? My rubric has 5 parts:
      creativity, effort, neatness, time on task and following directions.
      Do you ignore the name completely when grading or individualize it
      more? I hope this makes sense! Thanks!