Re: Help w/ special needs students!!!

  • realartist0416
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2006
      Hi Meghan,
      When grading the students in your class, you must take into account whether or not they
      have an IEP or 504 plan. I have 72 high school students (I'm part-time this year) and out
      of 72 I have 20 with either an IEP or 504 plan. By law, we are required to follow those
      legal plans to the letter.

      Refer to the individual IEP's and 504's, this will help you in assessing your students. I also
      use a rubric for each project and always take the time to grade them according to their
      individual abilities. I have them assess their project (this is worth 1/3 of their project
      grade) I then assess their project and my grade is worth 2/3. I average the two and that
      determines their project grade.

      With all my students, they come in at very different levels of development. It is my goal to
      take them from where they are at and help them reach (at least) the next level. I don't
      expect my "I'm-taking-this-for-the-credit-only" student to reach the same level as my
      "art track" student who has more experience. (This is especially important in our "Intro to
      Visual Art" class which all of our students must take.) But I expect each and every one of
      my students to be at a higher level (special needs and all) than where they were when they
      entered the classroom at the beginning of the course.

      This is the very topic that got me hired at the high school. I was asked how I would assess
      two very different students. Individualizing the assessment was the answer he was
      looking for. It's more work on the teacher but you end up truly knowing your students
      and what they are capable of as well as what you can reasonably expect from them.

      Christine
    • aliteachesart
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2006
        Hi Meghan,
        A couple of questions- did you modify the lesson for these students'
        abilites? What are their challenges (do they effect the ability to
        learn concepts/create the art you intended ie objectives. I teach
        elementary and have lots of mainstreamed students. I modify if/when
        they need it and have visual, step by step expectations written (for
        revrybody). Usually I ask "are you doing your best?"- often the
        answer is no and they will try harder, or this is when they ask for
        help, clarification etc. A child with learning challenges might
        need a different measuring stick on your part (but the same rubric.
        You could write with modifications on it or the report card if you
        feel more comfortable). Art class is a place for self expression
        and self esteem to soar! Ali B.
        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Meghan Bailin <meghcallie@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi everyone! This may be a really dumb question.....but I need
        some help! I'm a first year middle school art teacher. I have really
        LARGE classes...some have 30 students. I have about 3 special needs
        students per class and no aide. My question has to do with
        grading... When grading the project of a special needs student, do
        you grade on the same level as other students or do you grade
        according to that students' abililty? My rubric has 5 parts:
        creativity, effort, neatness, time on task and following directions.
        Do you ignore the name completely when grading or individualize it
        more? I hope this makes sense! Thanks!