Re: Be Prepared for that Interview - tough interview question

  • jdecker4art
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
      Patty is so right.... now to get the "egg off my face" (grin).

      The interviewer was probably after what kind of units this applicant
      would offer. The original post on Getty list actually
      used "curriculums" (plural) for the various art forms.

      Anyways...do be prepared with a good answer if asked this question....
      as I was asked a very similar question each time I interviewed for a
      teaching position.

      Judy Decker

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Patricia Knott <pknott@...>
      wrote:

      > I THINK some don't know what "curriculum" means. Curriculum is
      what a district decides is to be taught.
    • aliteachesart
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
        > Curriculum is binding. Not following your district's curriculum
        could
        > mean your job. It is NOT something you make up.
        >

        > Patty and All,
        Not every district has a curriculum co-odinator for art, or a
        curriculum! They think the standards spell it out and we spin it
        into cute, creative projects (that happen to decorate the halls).
        AND should mix in diversity, interdiscplinary connections (ie test
        skills), be modified for all learners and cost .20 per student (per
        year). Oh, in 35 minutes or less every 6 days! Ali B.- on a
        response roll, sorry!

        > On Feb 28, 2006, at 8:36 AM, Judy Decker wrote:
        >
        > > Dear Art Educators,
        > >
        > > A Getty list member posted this:
        > >
        > > I went to an interview for a public school art job and
        > > the woman that interviewed me really threw me when she
        > > asked me to tell her the CURRICULUM for ALL grade
        > > levels in the following medias: painting, drawing and
        > > ceramics.

      • Patricia Knott
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2006
          It's very disconcerting to think that a district does not have a
          curriculum in place. And that is just why there is such scrambling
          among art teachers when they are suddenly presented with the request.
          The National and State Art Education Associations work diligently to
          have art as a legitimate subject area with all the rationale and
          provisions suggested. When art becomes a teacher's "free for all"
          then it does just become hall decorations!!!
          Yes, there are national standards for art, but the states are not
          obligated to fulfill them. Most states also have standards and many
          districts put them on the back burner.

          My comment was only intended to inform that curriculum is not
          something to be taken lightly. If there is a curriculum, that is what
          you are obligated to follow.

          So my question becomes

          How do we insure that every district has an art curriculum?????
          My research indicates that the 2 biggest choices for entering
          college students is art/entertainment and medicine. If 17% of college
          students are choosing art as a career, how can we have schools that
          have no art curriculum?
          I certainly know the battle of fighting for the arts. I certainly
          know that when budgets get cut, art is the first to go. But I
          certainly know that my effort to make the battle is well worth it.

          I wonder how many art ed college students know that half their job
          will be to battle. To fight for time, to fight for rooms, to fight
          for curriculum.

          I continue to believe that all the great art advocacy statements fall
          on mostly deaf ears. And, no matter what in-roads many of us have
          made, we are all on the bottom of the list and in jeopardy of being
          cut at any moment .
          It's very sad to me that a kid putting gum on a valuable painting
          doesn't generate a discussion of just why this happened? Seems to
          me we get all bogged in techniques and forget the aesthetics and
          valuing.

          Patty
          P.S. I ALWAYS feel very deeply for those that have no money or
          support for the program. I can't imagine what i'd do with .20 cents
          per kid . How do you?????????