Re: [art_education] Be Prepared for that Dream Job - tough interview question

  • Patricia Knott
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
      I THINK some don't know what "curriculum" means. Curriculum is what
      a district decides is to be taught. It is a collaborative effort
      decided upon by all the teachers with administrative support for
      required initiatives that include district and state goals and
      objectives.
      A curriculum is mandated and published.
      It is not somebody's whim or wish.
      The curriculum sets the standards by which all teachers are expected
      to achieve student outcomes. How that is achieved may or may not be
      optional for the teacher. In some disciplines it is surely clear cut
      with little deviation. In art, I always hope the teacher has many
      options to achieve the results.
      I spend my many many hours, days, weeks developing curriculum. It's
      a process that grows and changes. I am a curriculum coordinator
      and I am constantly looking to how the curriculum requirements may
      need alteration and adjusting.

      The interviewer question is stupid. All schools should have
      curriculum in place. The question should have been how do you view
      our curriculum and how does your philosophy fit/meet it? Or this
      is our curriculum expectation in _______, how will you meet it?
      I have yet to find a teacher prep program that prepares students for
      writing curriculum. Many prepare students for developing unit plans
      within a curriculum ------ but NOT designing a curriculum.
      Developing curriculum requires much more than making lesson plans.
      Lessons are only the way to get to the objectives. Curriculum is
      about the end expectation.

      If I were the interviewee ----- I would have gasped and asked
      well ,give me a specific example in your curriculum and I'll
      show you how I will achieve the results.
      But on the other hand, all potential job candidates should
      investigate the curriculums at the schools you are interviewing
      for. This is public knowledge. Go into your interview having read
      the curriculum and respond with appropriate solutions.

      I interview all the time. I would never ask such a question. I would
      ask ---this is what I expect and how will you _______?
      I find it rather disheartening that college grads come into
      interviews and do not the terminology. I continue to think that
      those of us in public education are way far in another place from the
      college folk.
      This is NOT a dream job question.
      This is person I would avoid and find another dream. Apparently this
      interviewer is looking for someone to write the curriculum.

      I'll say one last time.
      Curriculum is binding. Not following your district's curriculum could
      mean your job. It is NOT something you make up.

      Patty

      On Feb 28, 2006, at 8:36 AM, Judy Decker wrote:

      > Dear Art Educators,
      >
      > A Getty list member posted this:
      >
      > I went to an interview for a public school art job and
      > the woman that interviewed me really threw me when she
      > asked me to tell her the CURRICULUM for ALL grade
      > levels in the following medias: painting, drawing and
      > ceramics.
    • jdecker4art
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
        Patty is so right.... now to get the "egg off my face" (grin).

        The interviewer was probably after what kind of units this applicant
        would offer. The original post on Getty list actually
        used "curriculums" (plural) for the various art forms.

        Anyways...do be prepared with a good answer if asked this question....
        as I was asked a very similar question each time I interviewed for a
        teaching position.

        Judy Decker

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Patricia Knott <pknott@...>
        wrote:

        > I THINK some don't know what "curriculum" means. Curriculum is
        what a district decides is to be taught.
      • aliteachesart
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
          > Curriculum is binding. Not following your district's curriculum
          could
          > mean your job. It is NOT something you make up.
          >

          > Patty and All,
          Not every district has a curriculum co-odinator for art, or a
          curriculum! They think the standards spell it out and we spin it
          into cute, creative projects (that happen to decorate the halls).
          AND should mix in diversity, interdiscplinary connections (ie test
          skills), be modified for all learners and cost .20 per student (per
          year). Oh, in 35 minutes or less every 6 days! Ali B.- on a
          response roll, sorry!

          > On Feb 28, 2006, at 8:36 AM, Judy Decker wrote:
          >
          > > Dear Art Educators,
          > >
          > > A Getty list member posted this:
          > >
          > > I went to an interview for a public school art job and
          > > the woman that interviewed me really threw me when she
          > > asked me to tell her the CURRICULUM for ALL grade
          > > levels in the following medias: painting, drawing and
          > > ceramics.

        • Patricia Knott
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2006
            It's very disconcerting to think that a district does not have a
            curriculum in place. And that is just why there is such scrambling
            among art teachers when they are suddenly presented with the request.
            The National and State Art Education Associations work diligently to
            have art as a legitimate subject area with all the rationale and
            provisions suggested. When art becomes a teacher's "free for all"
            then it does just become hall decorations!!!
            Yes, there are national standards for art, but the states are not
            obligated to fulfill them. Most states also have standards and many
            districts put them on the back burner.

            My comment was only intended to inform that curriculum is not
            something to be taken lightly. If there is a curriculum, that is what
            you are obligated to follow.

            So my question becomes

            How do we insure that every district has an art curriculum?????
            My research indicates that the 2 biggest choices for entering
            college students is art/entertainment and medicine. If 17% of college
            students are choosing art as a career, how can we have schools that
            have no art curriculum?
            I certainly know the battle of fighting for the arts. I certainly
            know that when budgets get cut, art is the first to go. But I
            certainly know that my effort to make the battle is well worth it.

            I wonder how many art ed college students know that half their job
            will be to battle. To fight for time, to fight for rooms, to fight
            for curriculum.

            I continue to believe that all the great art advocacy statements fall
            on mostly deaf ears. And, no matter what in-roads many of us have
            made, we are all on the bottom of the list and in jeopardy of being
            cut at any moment .
            It's very sad to me that a kid putting gum on a valuable painting
            doesn't generate a discussion of just why this happened? Seems to
            me we get all bogged in techniques and forget the aesthetics and
            valuing.

            Patty
            P.S. I ALWAYS feel very deeply for those that have no money or
            support for the program. I can't imagine what i'd do with .20 cents
            per kid . How do you?????????