What would a kid do with gummed Art Tape?

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1 4:36 AM
      Greetings Art Educators,

      This is in reply to the member asking for ideas for Art Tape (that
      colored wet and stick tape). I thought it would be fun to find out
      what KIDS discover to do with the tape -- So...... I asked the TAB
      Choice list. I can see the kiddies using it for all sorts of paper
      sculpture projects. Below is one reply I got from a teacher who adds
      it to her sculpture/assemblage centers.

      Bonnie wrote:

      My students use the colored gum tape when they make their sculptures
      and their box puppets. It's a quick and easy way to "transform" a
      macaroni box into a house, a clown, etc. I do not allow them to lick
      it though ~ they get a bowl of water and a sponge. I've found that if
      they don't really press down on the tape to get it to stick... when it
      dries it has the tendency to curl and peel off.

      I used it for paper mask making projects - and "gasp" I used it for
      paper totem poles (I would rethink that lesson now). I used it for a
      number of other paper/collage lessons. I would cut off pieces of the
      tape and put it in supply boxes at the tables (those cardboard
      American cheese boxes from the cafeteria worked great).