Be Prepared for that Dream Job - tough interview question

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 28, 2006
      Dear Art Educators,

      A Getty list member posted this:

      I went to an interview for a public school art job and
      the woman that interviewed me really threw me when she
      asked me to tell her the CURRICULUM for ALL grade
      levels in the following medias: painting, drawing and
      ceramics.
      She was really thrown for a loop and didn't know quite how to answer.
      If I were you, I would go to the interview with a curriculum in hand
      that you developed. I don't think it has to be project specific as
      that would depend on the materials you had on hand for the job. I
      would make myself aware of the stages of artistic development and plan
      accordingly (as I think that is what the interviewer may have been
      looking for in an answer).

      Those of you considering TAB Choice, I have some ideas how I would
      answer this question - you can ask me off list. You should still be
      aware of what to expect from the various age levels in those media.

      Incredible Art Resources
    • Patricia Knott
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
        I THINK some don't know what "curriculum" means. Curriculum is what
        a district decides is to be taught. It is a collaborative effort
        decided upon by all the teachers with administrative support for
        required initiatives that include district and state goals and
        objectives.
        A curriculum is mandated and published.
        It is not somebody's whim or wish.
        The curriculum sets the standards by which all teachers are expected
        to achieve student outcomes. How that is achieved may or may not be
        optional for the teacher. In some disciplines it is surely clear cut
        with little deviation. In art, I always hope the teacher has many
        options to achieve the results.
        I spend my many many hours, days, weeks developing curriculum. It's
        a process that grows and changes. I am a curriculum coordinator
        and I am constantly looking to how the curriculum requirements may
        need alteration and adjusting.

        The interviewer question is stupid. All schools should have
        curriculum in place. The question should have been how do you view
        our curriculum and how does your philosophy fit/meet it? Or this
        is our curriculum expectation in _______, how will you meet it?
        I have yet to find a teacher prep program that prepares students for
        writing curriculum. Many prepare students for developing unit plans
        within a curriculum ------ but NOT designing a curriculum.
        Developing curriculum requires much more than making lesson plans.
        Lessons are only the way to get to the objectives. Curriculum is
        about the end expectation.

        If I were the interviewee ----- I would have gasped and asked
        well ,give me a specific example in your curriculum and I'll
        show you how I will achieve the results.
        But on the other hand, all potential job candidates should
        investigate the curriculums at the schools you are interviewing
        for. This is public knowledge. Go into your interview having read
        the curriculum and respond with appropriate solutions.

        I interview all the time. I would never ask such a question. I would
        ask ---this is what I expect and how will you _______?
        I find it rather disheartening that college grads come into
        interviews and do not the terminology. I continue to think that
        those of us in public education are way far in another place from the
        college folk.
        This is NOT a dream job question.
        This is person I would avoid and find another dream. Apparently this
        interviewer is looking for someone to write the curriculum.

        I'll say one last time.
        Curriculum is binding. Not following your district's curriculum could
        mean your job. It is NOT something you make up.

        Patty

        On Feb 28, 2006, at 8:36 AM, Judy Decker wrote:

        > Dear Art Educators,
        >
        > A Getty list member posted this:
        >
        > I went to an interview for a public school art job and
        > the woman that interviewed me really threw me when she
        > asked me to tell her the CURRICULUM for ALL grade
        > levels in the following medias: painting, drawing and
        > ceramics.
      • jdecker4art
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
          Patty is so right.... now to get the "egg off my face" (grin).

          The interviewer was probably after what kind of units this applicant
          would offer. The original post on Getty list actually
          used "curriculums" (plural) for the various art forms.

          Anyways...do be prepared with a good answer if asked this question....
          as I was asked a very similar question each time I interviewed for a
          teaching position.

          Judy Decker

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Patricia Knott <pknott@...>
          wrote:

          > I THINK some don't know what "curriculum" means. Curriculum is
          what a district decides is to be taught.
        • aliteachesart
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
            > Curriculum is binding. Not following your district's curriculum
            could
            > mean your job. It is NOT something you make up.
            >

            > Patty and All,
            Not every district has a curriculum co-odinator for art, or a
            curriculum! They think the standards spell it out and we spin it
            into cute, creative projects (that happen to decorate the halls).
            AND should mix in diversity, interdiscplinary connections (ie test
            skills), be modified for all learners and cost .20 per student (per
            year). Oh, in 35 minutes or less every 6 days! Ali B.- on a
            response roll, sorry!

            > On Feb 28, 2006, at 8:36 AM, Judy Decker wrote:
            >
            > > Dear Art Educators,
            > >
            > > A Getty list member posted this:
            > >
            > > I went to an interview for a public school art job and
            > > the woman that interviewed me really threw me when she
            > > asked me to tell her the CURRICULUM for ALL grade
            > > levels in the following medias: painting, drawing and
            > > ceramics.

          • Patricia Knott
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 2, 2006
              It's very disconcerting to think that a district does not have a
              curriculum in place. And that is just why there is such scrambling
              among art teachers when they are suddenly presented with the request.
              The National and State Art Education Associations work diligently to
              have art as a legitimate subject area with all the rationale and
              provisions suggested. When art becomes a teacher's "free for all"
              then it does just become hall decorations!!!
              Yes, there are national standards for art, but the states are not
              obligated to fulfill them. Most states also have standards and many
              districts put them on the back burner.

              My comment was only intended to inform that curriculum is not
              something to be taken lightly. If there is a curriculum, that is what
              you are obligated to follow.

              So my question becomes

              How do we insure that every district has an art curriculum?????
              My research indicates that the 2 biggest choices for entering
              college students is art/entertainment and medicine. If 17% of college
              students are choosing art as a career, how can we have schools that
              have no art curriculum?
              I certainly know the battle of fighting for the arts. I certainly
              know that when budgets get cut, art is the first to go. But I
              certainly know that my effort to make the battle is well worth it.

              I wonder how many art ed college students know that half their job
              will be to battle. To fight for time, to fight for rooms, to fight
              for curriculum.

              I continue to believe that all the great art advocacy statements fall
              on mostly deaf ears. And, no matter what in-roads many of us have
              made, we are all on the bottom of the list and in jeopardy of being
              cut at any moment .
              It's very sad to me that a kid putting gum on a valuable painting
              doesn't generate a discussion of just why this happened? Seems to
              me we get all bogged in techniques and forget the aesthetics and
              valuing.

              Patty
              P.S. I ALWAYS feel very deeply for those that have no money or
              support for the program. I can't imagine what i'd do with .20 cents
              per kid . How do you?????????