Klimt - Tree of Life - lesson plan

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2006
      Greetings Ruth and all,

      Linda is one of the lucky ones... She doesn't have to write up
      detailed lesson plans at her school.

      If she did have one written - I imagine it would follow something like this.

      Instruction:

      1. Present a brief biography of Austrian artist Gustav Klimt.
      Here are some resources:
      http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Gustav+Klimt&btnG=Google+Search
      2. Show some selected images of Klimt's work via PowerPoint (Klimt is
      not an artist I would let elementary kids surf for images - too many
      nudes).
      3. Finish PowerPoint with images of Tree of Life - include studies
      Klimt did. Include images of Tree of Life from other cultures -
      Discuss similarities... discuss what the trees make them think
      about... What was Klimt trying to communicate?
      http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=Klimt%20tree%20of%20life&btnG=Google+Search&sa=N&tab=wi
      For additional images - look up India Tree of Life and Mexico Tree of
      Life - you can also just look up Tree of Life

      Procedures:
      1.Students make sketches on newsprint of what their tree of
      life/magical tree will look like. These will be their "studies"
      2. Transfer best drawing to drawing paper (colored construction paper).
      3. Color with oil pastels (and metallic pastels) - OR metallic
      crayons/gem crayons.
      4. Write what is magical out their tree - include how they were
      inspired by the Tree of Life by Klimt.

      Alternate lesson:
      use gold scratch board.

      Linda - if you see this - am I close enough?

      Incredible Art Resources
    • RAWartist@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2006
        Judy-

        Thank you so much for the lesson plan. They should like this.
        And the students are starting to making atc's when they finish a project.

        Thanks again-
        Ruth Ann

      • Ann Carolan
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 9, 2006
          Wondering what lesson you were referring to???? Please let me know how to
          find it and what is atc?
          ann