Re: melt glass in kiln?

  • henlaojim
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2006
      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Jeannette Anthos - JHH"
      <janthos@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone-
      >
      > Isn't there a way you can ,melt down wine bottle, beer bottle, etc-
      in
      > the kiln?
      >
      > What kind of setting do I put it on?

      I used to do a lot of this with a kiln that had a pyrometer in degrees
      celcius, but I don't recall the numbers. The exact numbers will depen
      on that particular glass you have at the moment anyway so you will
      just have to experiment.

      The basic idea is that you want to fire up to your chosend temperature
      and cool it all as slowly as possible, particularly at the end of the
      cooling. In glass work it is best if you can hols the temoerature
      just below the point at which things flow for a day os so and then let
      it cool, allowing all the little molecules to nestle quietly together.

      If you can't do that you can at least cool things very slowly and take
      your losses.

      Glass melts slowly so at one temperature it will simply deform slowly
      and at a higher temperature it will flow like water so temperatures
      and times will always be the subject of experiment with different
      kilns and projects.