art career books

  • Jeannette Anthos - JHH
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2006
      I actually wrote my thesis on art careers & cooperative learning (almost
      2 years ago)

      Here are some books:

      Roberto the Insect architect-Nina Laden

      Careers in art-an illustrated guide-although a little more advanced,
      it's a good reference, visuals, etc

      The anti-coloring book-Artists at work-Susan striker

      Crystal has careers in art posters-again, good as a reference

      They also sell videos, but I am not sure if they are good

      There are also some articles that give art project ideas centered around
      career education:

      Berkowitz, J., & Packer, T. (2001). Heroes in the classroom: Comic
      books in art education. Art Education, 54(6), 12-18.

      Brommer, G. & Gatto, J. (1999). Careers in art: An illustrated guide
      (2nd edition). Worchester, MASS: Davis Publications.

      Brown, S. (1994). Cooking up a menu for success. School Arts, 93 (9),
      12-13.

      Geahigan, G. (1981). Career education in the visual arts. Art
      Education, 34(4), 36-40.

      Hinkle, C. (1996). Careers in art from A-Z. School Arts, 96(4), 14-15.

      Honeycutt, K. (1995) Designs on fashion. Arts and activities, 117 (2),
      20.

      Laden, N. (2000). Roberto the insect architect. San Francisco, CA:
      Chronicle Books.

      Mittler, G., & Ragans, R. (1992). Career spotlights. In Exploring Art.
      (pp.291-297). Mission Hills, CA: Glencoe Division,
      Macmillan/McGraw-Hill.

      Mittler, G., & Ragans, R. (1992). Chapter 11 Graphic design. In
      Exploring Art. (pp.190-265). Mission Hills, CA: Glencoe Division,
      Macmillan/McGraw-Hill.

      Penfield, L. (1980). Career excursions in art. School Arts, 79(6),
      40-41.

      Renken, A. (1981). Art career education in the elementary grades.
      School Arts, 80(7), 64-67.

      Silverman, R.H. (1980). Art career education: The third imperative.
      School Arts, 79(6), 42-44.

      Sloan, H. (1980). Art and careers: A promising program. School Arts,
      79(6), 30-32.

      Stokes, R. (1980). Career education in the arts: An unpretentious
      approach. School Arts, 79(6), p.33.

      Szekely, G. (1980). Interior design for elementary school children.
      School Arts, 79(6), 52-53.

      Towne, B. (1980). Shaping career consciousness in the visual arts.
      School Arts, 79(6), 34,39.

      Ulbricht, J. (2001). Helping students contemplate a career in art. Art
      Education, 54(2), 40-44.

      Hope this helps!

      Thanks!

      Jeannette Anthos, M.A.Ed

      Art Educator

      GAEA Elementary Division Director

      J. H. House Elementary School

      2930 Hwy 20 North

      Conyers, GA 30012

      770-483-9504

      Fax: 770-483-0397

      www.artsonia.com/jhhouse1

      http://jhh.blogs.com/anthos/ <http://jhh.blogs.com/anthos/>

      "To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong."

      -Joseph Chilton Pearce