Re: [art_education] Metal in Kiln?

  • Kiersten M. Bram
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
      Hi Jan - about the metal in the kiln...
      For making ceramic beads there is a wire that is used to hang the beads on
      during firings. It is called "high tem wire" and made by Kemper Tools - it
      is about $6 for approx 3 meters. hope this helps. Kiersten

      Kiersten Bram, Art Instructor
      Laurel Woods Elementary School
      410-880-5960
      Kiersten_Bram@...

    • Tracey
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
        Jan ,
        I have used a welding wire in the kiln . I purchased it at a welding supply store. I can't remember what gauge wire it was , But if you talk to the clerks about what you are doing and at what temperature you are firing at they should be able to help you.
        have fun!
        tracey

        "Hillmer, Jan" <hillmjan@...> wrote:
        Thanks everyone - carving a notch or epoxying a hanger on the back after
        it's been fired seem to make the most sense. Guess I was dreaming.

        Jan

        Jan, there is only 1 kind of wire that is kiln safe...other metals can
        damage your kiln and they produce bad vapors. I don't know the name of
        the wire, but it's not cheap! What about carving a notch into the back
        so they can be hung easily on a nail?
        Meghan

        "Hillmer, Jan" <hillmjan@...> wrote:
        Hi Everyone,

        I am wondering if anyone knows how I could create a metal hanger for
        decorative tiles which will be fired.

        Fine art shipping Fine art giclee printing Buy fine art Art education Fine art inkjet paper Fine art printing