RE: [art_education] Metal in Kiln?

  • Hillmer, Jan
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
      Thanks everyone - carving a notch or epoxying a hanger on the back after
      it's been fired seem to make the most sense. Guess I was dreaming.

      Jan

      Jan, there is only 1 kind of wire that is kiln safe...other metals can
      damage your kiln and they produce bad vapors. I don't know the name of
      the wire, but it's not cheap! What about carving a notch into the back
      so they can be hung easily on a nail?
      Meghan

      "Hillmer, Jan" <hillmjan@...> wrote:
      Hi Everyone,

      I am wondering if anyone knows how I could create a metal hanger for
      decorative tiles which will be fired.
    • Kiersten M. Bram
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
        Hi Jan - about the metal in the kiln...
        For making ceramic beads there is a wire that is used to hang the beads on
        during firings. It is called "high tem wire" and made by Kemper Tools - it
        is about $6 for approx 3 meters. hope this helps. Kiersten

        Kiersten Bram, Art Instructor
        Laurel Woods Elementary School
        410-880-5960
        Kiersten_Bram@...

      • Tracey
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
          Jan ,
          I have used a welding wire in the kiln . I purchased it at a welding supply store. I can't remember what gauge wire it was , But if you talk to the clerks about what you are doing and at what temperature you are firing at they should be able to help you.
          have fun!
          tracey

          "Hillmer, Jan" <hillmjan@...> wrote:
          Hi Everyone,

          I am wondering if anyone knows how I could create a metal hanger for
          decorative tiles which will be fired.

          Fine art shipping Fine art giclee printing Buy fine art Art education Fine art inkjet paper Fine art printing