Re: [art_education] Metal in Kiln?

  • Meghan Bailin
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2006
      Jan, there is only 1 kind of wire that is kiln safe...other metals can damage your kiln and they produce bad vapors. I don't know the name of the wire, but it's not cheap! What about carving a notch into the back so they can be hung easily on a nail?
      Meghan

      "Hillmer, Jan" <hillmjan@...> wrote:
      Hi Everyone,

      I am wondering if anyone knows how I could create a metal hanger for
      decorative tiles which will be fired. I am thinking along the line of a
      paper clip stuck into the back before firing. What kind of metal will
      withstand the heat? Once a coworker used some sort of staples to do
      this, but she does not remember what type she used.

      Any ideas?

      Thanks,

      Jan

      Fine art shipping Fine art giclee printing Buy fine art Art education Fine art inkjet paper Fine art printing

      ---------------------------------

    • Hillmer, Jan
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
        Thanks everyone - carving a notch or epoxying a hanger on the back after
        it's been fired seem to make the most sense. Guess I was dreaming.

        Jan

        "Hillmer, Jan" <hillmjan@...> wrote:
        Hi Everyone,

        I am wondering if anyone knows how I could create a metal hanger for
        decorative tiles which will be fired.
      • Kiersten M. Bram
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
          Hi Jan - about the metal in the kiln...
          For making ceramic beads there is a wire that is used to hang the beads on
          during firings. It is called "high tem wire" and made by Kemper Tools - it
          is about $6 for approx 3 meters. hope this helps. Kiersten

          Kiersten Bram, Art Instructor
          Laurel Woods Elementary School
          410-880-5960
          Kiersten_Bram@...