Re: melt glass in kiln?

  • Jessica
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2006
      I've done a little of this, although not enough to consider myself an expert by any means.
      The Skutt website has a .pdf which talks about melting or "slumping" glass in a ceramic
      kiln: http://www.skutt.com/pdf/brochures/GlassArticle.pdf
      If thel link doesn't work go to www.skutt.com>ceramic kilns>New Lesson Plans (on the
      right side)>Resources (at top)>Articles. The article talks about fusing glass in a ceramics
      kiln.
      Another link is: http://www.bigceramicstore.com/Information/Tip54.htm
      Oh, and while putzing around I just found this one too: http://www.amaco.com/pdfs/
      Lesson18.pdf (another .pdf).

      The two .pdfs go into what rate to fire at, as well as to what temperature, etc.
      Hopefully that will help you!

      jessica

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Jeannette Anthos - JHH" <janthos@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone-
      >
      > Isn't there a way you can ,melt down wine bottle, beer bottle, etc-in
      > the kiln?
      >
      > What kind of setting do I put it on?
      >
      > What's the process for that?
      >
      > I have a Skutt KM-1027
      >
      > Any advice is appreciated!
      >

      > Thanks!
      >
      > Jeannette Anthos, M.A.Ed
      >
      > Art Educator
      >
      > GAEA Elementary Division Director
      >
      > J. H. House Elementary School
      >
      > 2930 Hwy 20 North
      >
      > Conyers, GA 30012
      >
      > 770-483-9504
      >
      > Fax: 770-483-0397
      >
      > www.artsonia.com/jhhouse1
      >
      > http://jhh.blogs.com/anthos/ <http://jhh.blogs.com/anthos/>
      >

      > "To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong."
      >
      > -Joseph Chilton Pearce

    • henlaojim
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2006
        <janthos@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone-
        >
        > Isn't there a way you can ,melt down wine bottle, beer bottle, etc-
        in
        > the kiln?
        >
        > What kind of setting do I put it on?

        I used to do a lot of this with a kiln that had a pyrometer in degrees
        celcius, but I don't recall the numbers. The exact numbers will depen
        on that particular glass you have at the moment anyway so you will
        just have to experiment.

        The basic idea is that you want to fire up to your chosend temperature
        and cool it all as slowly as possible, particularly at the end of the
        cooling. In glass work it is best if you can hols the temoerature
        just below the point at which things flow for a day os so and then let
        it cool, allowing all the little molecules to nestle quietly together.

        If you can't do that you can at least cool things very slowly and take
        your losses.

        Glass melts slowly so at one temperature it will simply deform slowly
        and at a higher temperature it will flow like water so temperatures
        and times will always be the subject of experiment with different
        kilns and projects.