RE: [art_education] melt glass in kiln?

  • O'Brien, Michele E
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2006
      I melt glass wine bottles in my kiln, I first kiln wash the shles with a wash taht is a milky consistency I put 3 coats on, letting them dry in between coats, i just lay the bolltles on the shelf on their side and fire on high at cone 015, until it shuts itself off. I hope this helps

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2006
        I've done a little of this, although not enough to consider myself an expert by any means.
        The Skutt website has a .pdf which talks about melting or "slumping" glass in a ceramic
        kiln: http://www.skutt.com/pdf/brochures/GlassArticle.pdf
        If thel link doesn't work go to www.skutt.com>ceramic kilns>New Lesson Plans (on the
        right side)>Resources (at top)>Articles. The article talks about fusing glass in a ceramics
        kiln.
        Another link is: http://www.bigceramicstore.com/Information/Tip54.htm
        Oh, and while putzing around I just found this one too: http://www.amaco.com/pdfs/
        Lesson18.pdf (another .pdf).

        The two .pdfs go into what rate to fire at, as well as to what temperature, etc.
        Hopefully that will help you!

        jessica

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Jeannette Anthos - JHH" <janthos@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone-
        >
        > Isn't there a way you can ,melt down wine bottle, beer bottle, etc-in
        > the kiln?
        >
        > What kind of setting do I put it on?
        >
        > What's the process for that?
        >
        > I have a Skutt KM-1027
        >
        > Any advice is appreciated!
        >

        > Thanks!
        >
        > Jeannette Anthos, M.A.Ed
        >
        > Art Educator
        >
        > GAEA Elementary Division Director
        >
        > J. H. House Elementary School
        >
        > 2930 Hwy 20 North
        >
        > Conyers, GA 30012
        >
        > 770-483-9504
        >
        > Fax: 770-483-0397
        >
        > www.artsonia.com/jhhouse1
        >
        > http://jhh.blogs.com/anthos/ <http://jhh.blogs.com/anthos/>
        >

        > "To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong."
        >
        > -Joseph Chilton Pearce

      • henlaojim
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2006
          <janthos@...> wrote:

          > Hi everyone-
          >
          > Isn't there a way you can ,melt down wine bottle, beer bottle, etc-
          in
          > the kiln?
          >
          > What kind of setting do I put it on?

          I used to do a lot of this with a kiln that had a pyrometer in degrees
          celcius, but I don't recall the numbers. The exact numbers will depen
          on that particular glass you have at the moment anyway so you will
          just have to experiment.

          The basic idea is that you want to fire up to your chosend temperature
          and cool it all as slowly as possible, particularly at the end of the
          cooling. In glass work it is best if you can hols the temoerature
          just below the point at which things flow for a day os so and then let
          it cool, allowing all the little molecules to nestle quietly together.

          If you can't do that you can at least cool things very slowly and take
          your losses.

          Glass melts slowly so at one temperature it will simply deform slowly
          and at a higher temperature it will flow like water so temperatures
          and times will always be the subject of experiment with different
          kilns and projects.