melt glass in kiln?

  • Jeannette Anthos - JHH
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2006
      Hi everyone-

      Isn't there a way you can ,melt down wine bottle, beer bottle, etc-in
      the kiln?

      What kind of setting do I put it on?

      What's the process for that?

      I have a Skutt KM-1027

      Any advice is appreciated!

      Thanks!

      Jeannette Anthos, M.A.Ed

      Art Educator

      GAEA Elementary Division Director

      J. H. House Elementary School

      2930 Hwy 20 North

      Conyers, GA 30012

      770-483-9504

      Fax: 770-483-0397

      www.artsonia.com/jhhouse1

      http://jhh.blogs.com/anthos/ <http://jhh.blogs.com/anthos/>

      "To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong."

      -Joseph Chilton Pearce

    • Kiersten M. Bram
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2006
        Hi Jeannette -
        I've never melted bottles in the kiln before but I have added pieces of
        broken glass to glazes and they melt into the glaze. I've done this on
        high fire (cone 9 or 10) so I think it depends on temp. I'd be interested
        to know if you try it and the results.
        good luck - Kiersten

        kbram@...

      • O'Brien, Michele E
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2006
          I melt glass wine bottles in my kiln, I first kiln wash the shles with a wash taht is a milky consistency I put 3 coats on, letting them dry in between coats, i just lay the bolltles on the shelf on their side and fire on high at cone 015, until it shuts itself off. I hope this helps

          I've never melted bottles in the kiln before but I have added pieces of
          broken glass to glazes and they melt into the glaze. I've done this on
          high fire (cone 9 or 10) so I think it depends on temp. I'd be interested
          to know if you try it and the results.
          good luck - Kiersten

          °*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*
          kbram@...

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Jessica
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2006
            I've done a little of this, although not enough to consider myself an expert by any means.
            The Skutt website has a .pdf which talks about melting or "slumping" glass in a ceramic
            kiln: http://www.skutt.com/pdf/brochures/GlassArticle.pdf
            If thel link doesn't work go to www.skutt.com>ceramic kilns>New Lesson Plans (on the
            right side)>Resources (at top)>Articles. The article talks about fusing glass in a ceramics
            kiln.
            Another link is: http://www.bigceramicstore.com/Information/Tip54.htm
            Oh, and while putzing around I just found this one too: http://www.amaco.com/pdfs/
            Lesson18.pdf (another .pdf).

            The two .pdfs go into what rate to fire at, as well as to what temperature, etc.
            Hopefully that will help you!

            jessica

            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Jeannette Anthos - JHH" <janthos@...> wrote:

            > Hi everyone-
            >
            > Isn't there a way you can ,melt down wine bottle, beer bottle, etc-in
            > the kiln?
            >
            > What kind of setting do I put it on?
            >
            > What's the process for that?
            >
            > I have a Skutt KM-1027
            >
            > Any advice is appreciated!
            >

            > Thanks!
            >
            > Jeannette Anthos, M.A.Ed
            >
            > Art Educator
            >
            > GAEA Elementary Division Director
            >
            > J. H. House Elementary School
            >
            > 2930 Hwy 20 North
            >
            > Conyers, GA 30012
            >
            > 770-483-9504
            >
            > Fax: 770-483-0397
            >
            > www.artsonia.com/jhhouse1
            >
            > http://jhh.blogs.com/anthos/ <http://jhh.blogs.com/anthos/>
            >

            > "To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong."
            >
            > -Joseph Chilton Pearce

          • henlaojim
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2006
              <janthos@...> wrote:

              > Hi everyone-
              >
              > Isn't there a way you can ,melt down wine bottle, beer bottle, etc-
              in
              > the kiln?
              >
              > What kind of setting do I put it on?

              I used to do a lot of this with a kiln that had a pyrometer in degrees
              celcius, but I don't recall the numbers. The exact numbers will depen
              on that particular glass you have at the moment anyway so you will
              just have to experiment.

              The basic idea is that you want to fire up to your chosend temperature
              and cool it all as slowly as possible, particularly at the end of the
              cooling. In glass work it is best if you can hols the temoerature
              just below the point at which things flow for a day os so and then let
              it cool, allowing all the little molecules to nestle quietly together.

              If you can't do that you can at least cool things very slowly and take
              your losses.

              Glass melts slowly so at one temperature it will simply deform slowly
              and at a higher temperature it will flow like water so temperatures
              and times will always be the subject of experiment with different
              kilns and projects.