Re: Metal in Kiln?

  • tmwillis72
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1 2:18 AM
      After it has been fired I just usually hot glue the paper clip on
      the back.

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Hillmer, Jan" <hillmjan@b...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Everyone,
      >

      > I am wondering if anyone knows how I could create a metal hanger
      for
      > decorative tiles which will be fired. I am thinking along the line
      of a
      > paper clip stuck into the back before firing. What kind of metal
      will
      > withstand the heat? Once a coworker used some sort of staples to
      do
      > this, but she does not remember what type she used.
      >

      > Any ideas?
      >

      > Thanks,
      >

      > Jan

    • Meghan Bailin
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1 8:38 PM
        Jan, there is only 1 kind of wire that is kiln safe...other metals can damage your kiln and they produce bad vapors. I don't know the name of the wire, but it's not cheap! What about carving a notch into the back so they can be hung easily on a nail?
        Meghan

        "Hillmer, Jan" <hillmjan@...> wrote:
        Hi Everyone,

        I am wondering if anyone knows how I could create a metal hanger for
        decorative tiles which will be fired. I am thinking along the line of a
        paper clip stuck into the back before firing. What kind of metal will
        withstand the heat? Once a coworker used some sort of staples to do
        this, but she does not remember what type she used.

        Any ideas?

        Thanks,

        Jan

        Fine art shipping Fine art giclee printing Buy fine art Art education Fine art inkjet paper Fine art printing

        ---------------------------------

      • Hillmer, Jan
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2 4:22 AM
          Thanks everyone - carving a notch or epoxying a hanger on the back after
          it's been fired seem to make the most sense. Guess I was dreaming.

          Jan

          "Hillmer, Jan" <hillmjan@...> wrote:
          Hi Everyone,

          I am wondering if anyone knows how I could create a metal hanger for
          decorative tiles which will be fired.
        • Kiersten M. Bram
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2 5:40 AM
            Hi Jan - about the metal in the kiln...
            For making ceramic beads there is a wire that is used to hang the beads on
            during firings. It is called "high tem wire" and made by Kemper Tools - it
            is about $6 for approx 3 meters. hope this helps. Kiersten

            Kiersten Bram, Art Instructor
            Laurel Woods Elementary School
            410-880-5960
            Kiersten_Bram@...