Metal in Kiln?

  • Hillmer, Jan
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2006
      Hi Everyone,

      I am wondering if anyone knows how I could create a metal hanger for
      decorative tiles which will be fired. I am thinking along the line of a
      paper clip stuck into the back before firing. What kind of metal will
      withstand the heat? Once a coworker used some sort of staples to do
      this, but she does not remember what type she used.

      Any ideas?

      Thanks,

      Jan

    • tmwillis72
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2006
        After it has been fired I just usually hot glue the paper clip on
        the back.

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Hillmer, Jan" <hillmjan@b...>
        wrote:

        > Hi Everyone,
        >

        > I am wondering if anyone knows how I could create a metal hanger
        for
        > decorative tiles which will be fired. I am thinking along the line
        of a
        > paper clip stuck into the back before firing. What kind of metal
        will
        > withstand the heat? Once a coworker used some sort of staples to
        do
        > this, but she does not remember what type she used.
        >

        > Any ideas?
        >

        > Thanks,
        >

        > Jan

      • Meghan Bailin
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2006
          Jan, there is only 1 kind of wire that is kiln safe...other metals can damage your kiln and they produce bad vapors. I don't know the name of the wire, but it's not cheap! What about carving a notch into the back so they can be hung easily on a nail?
          Meghan

          "Hillmer, Jan" <hillmjan@...> wrote:
          Hi Everyone,

          I am wondering if anyone knows how I could create a metal hanger for
          decorative tiles which will be fired. I am thinking along the line of a
          paper clip stuck into the back before firing. What kind of metal will
          withstand the heat? Once a coworker used some sort of staples to do
          this, but she does not remember what type she used.

          Any ideas?

          Thanks,

          Jan

          Fine art shipping Fine art giclee printing Buy fine art Art education Fine art inkjet paper Fine art printing

          ---------------------------------

        • Hillmer, Jan
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
            Thanks everyone - carving a notch or epoxying a hanger on the back after
            it's been fired seem to make the most sense. Guess I was dreaming.

            Jan

            "Hillmer, Jan" <hillmjan@...> wrote:
            Hi Everyone,

            I am wondering if anyone knows how I could create a metal hanger for
            decorative tiles which will be fired.
          • Kiersten M. Bram
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 2, 2006
              Hi Jan - about the metal in the kiln...
              For making ceramic beads there is a wire that is used to hang the beads on
              during firings. It is called "high tem wire" and made by Kemper Tools - it
              is about $6 for approx 3 meters. hope this helps. Kiersten

              Kiersten Bram, Art Instructor
              Laurel Woods Elementary School
              410-880-5960
              Kiersten_Bram@...