Re: [art_education] Re: Pencil art teacher

  • Susan Bennett
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 3, 2006
      By direct drawing, do you mean you draw and then they draw, or you guide through some form of observation?
      Susan

      Nancy Lane Smith <VINNInRED@...> wrote:
      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Susan Bennett
      <ssn_bennett@y...> wrote:

      > Nancy,
      > What are you suggestions for starting subjects?

      I start in 2nd grade with directed drawing subjects. I find that
      animal subjects alway keep the kid's attention much better than still
      life type of subjects. I teach line art to 2nd grade....no shading
      or light discussions. These are 2nd graders and they are thrilled to
      be drawing a killer whale, dolphin, schools of fish, great white
      sharks, etc. Once their confidence is up and they KNOW that they can
      do it, I move into mostly line art mammals, like horses. Then I can
      teach them how to make hair look real. They get a great kick out of
      drawing real looking horses! Each one looks different and has it's
      own style, and I get to explain what "style" is. By the end of they
      year, I do get into shading very briefly, but mostly I don't
      introduce that until 3rd Grade.

      Nancy in CA

      Fine art shipping Fine art giclee printing Buy fine art Art education Fine art inkjet paper Fine art printing