Re: [art_education] Re: Pencil art teacher

  • Susan Bennett
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
      Nancy,
      What are you suggestions for starting subjects? What points to you make over and over? Do you start with contour and proceed to shading? How technical do you get with perspective and what light should do (classroom light is so diffused)
      Susan

      Nancy Lane Smith <VINNInRED@...> wrote:

      > I have recently fallen in love with pencil. I would love your ideas
      on lessons that the children progress with and also enjoy. I have been
      a multimedia junkie for so long, I am not sure my students would trust
      me I I said pencil only. Do you two have websites?
      > Susan in Ohio

      Susan:

      I don't have a website for my art teaching. No need. I used to have
      quite an extensive site for my portrait work. I do very large pastel
      portraits of show horse and dogs, but I simply got bored with that, I
      did it for 20 years and I sold almost 1,000 paintings. I just don't
      have the desire to work that hard any more, creating for other people.

      I do love to teach my students, though. It is very rewarding to see
      the lightbulb go off in their heads when you show them how to create
      what they see.

      As far as pencil work with the students....I am a huge believer in
      it!!! If you can draw what you see, you can then go on and use any
      medium with success. Plus, in the schools, art supplies are pricy and
      the schools have a hard time getting funds for that. With pencil, I
      buy gum erasers and explain the difference it can make compared to
      using a standard "pink" eraser, and we draw on big paper 11 X 18. It
      is SO much easier to teach them to draw when they draw a large sized
      subject.

      Nancy

      Fine art shipping Fine art giclee printing Buy fine art Art education Fine art inkjet paper Fine art printing

      ---------------------------------

    • Susan Bennett
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
        oops advise should be advice!

        Susan Bennett <ssn_bennett@...> wrote: Very good advise
        Susan in Ohio

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Susan Bennett
          <ssn_bennett@y...> wrote:

          > Nancy,
          > What are you suggestions for starting subjects?

          I start in 2nd grade with directed drawing subjects. I find that
          animal subjects alway keep the kid's attention much better than still
          life type of subjects. I teach line art to 2nd grade....no shading
          or light discussions. These are 2nd graders and they are thrilled to
          be drawing a killer whale, dolphin, schools of fish, great white
          sharks, etc. Once their confidence is up and they KNOW that they can
          do it, I move into mostly line art mammals, like horses. Then I can
          teach them how to make hair look real. They get a great kick out of
          drawing real looking horses! Each one looks different and has it's
          own style, and I get to explain what "style" is. By the end of they
          year, I do get into shading very briefly, but mostly I don't
          introduce that until 3rd Grade.

          Nancy in CA
        • Susan Bennett
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 3, 2006
            By direct drawing, do you mean you draw and then they draw, or you guide through some form of observation?