Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Pencil art teacher

Expand Messages
  • Nancy Lane Smith
    ... where we can post photos of the lesson ... Judy: What does one do in a situation like this? Is there a place to post some pencil drawings that I teach my
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
    • 0 Attachment
      Susan Bennett <ssn_bennett@y...> wrote:
      >
      > Judy Decker is the one to ask.
      >
      > Nancy L Smith <VINNInRED@j...> wrote: Is there a place on this list
      where we can post photos of the lesson
      > subjects?


      Judy:

      What does one do in a situation like this? Is there a place to post
      some pencil drawings that I teach my students?

      Nancy in CA
    • Nancy Lane Smith
      ... on lessons that the children progress with and also enjoy. I have been a multimedia junkie for so long, I am not sure my students would trust me I I said
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
      • 0 Attachment
        > I have recently fallen in love with pencil. I would love your ideas
        on lessons that the children progress with and also enjoy. I have been
        a multimedia junkie for so long, I am not sure my students would trust
        me I I said pencil only. Do you two have websites?
        > Susan in Ohio

        Susan:

        I don't have a website for my art teaching. No need. I used to have
        quite an extensive site for my portrait work. I do very large pastel
        portraits of show horse and dogs, but I simply got bored with that, I
        did it for 20 years and I sold almost 1,000 paintings. I just don't
        have the desire to work that hard any more, creating for other people.

        I do love to teach my students, though. It is very rewarding to see
        the lightbulb go off in their heads when you show them how to create
        what they see.

        As far as pencil work with the students....I am a huge believer in
        it!!! If you can draw what you see, you can then go on and use any
        medium with success. Plus, in the schools, art supplies are pricy and
        the schools have a hard time getting funds for that. With pencil, I
        buy gum erasers and explain the difference it can make compared to
        using a standard "pink" eraser, and we draw on big paper 11 X 18. It
        is SO much easier to teach them to draw when they draw a large sized
        subject.

        Nancy
      • Susan Bennett
        Very good advise Susan in Ohio ... on lessons that the children progress with and also enjoy. I have been a multimedia junkie for so long, I am not sure my
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
        • 0 Attachment
          Very good advise
          Susan in Ohio

          Nancy Lane Smith <VINNInRED@...> wrote:

          > I have recently fallen in love with pencil. I would love your ideas
          on lessons that the children progress with and also enjoy. I have been
          a multimedia junkie for so long, I am not sure my students would trust
          me I I said pencil only. Do you two have websites?
          > Susan in Ohio

          Susan:

          I don't have a website for my art teaching. No need. I used to have
          quite an extensive site for my portrait work. I do very large pastel
          portraits of show horse and dogs, but I simply got bored with that, I
          did it for 20 years and I sold almost 1,000 paintings. I just don't
          have the desire to work that hard any more, creating for other people.

          I do love to teach my students, though. It is very rewarding to see
          the lightbulb go off in their heads when you show them how to create
          what they see.

          As far as pencil work with the students....I am a huge believer in
          it!!! If you can draw what you see, you can then go on and use any
          medium with success. Plus, in the schools, art supplies are pricy and
          the schools have a hard time getting funds for that. With pencil, I
          buy gum erasers and explain the difference it can make compared to
          using a standard "pink" eraser, and we draw on big paper 11 X 18. It
          is SO much easier to teach them to draw when they draw a large sized
          subject.

          Nancy





          SPONSORED LINKS
          Fine art shipping Fine art giclee printing Buy fine art Art education Fine art inkjet paper Fine art printing

          ---------------------------------
          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS


          Visit your group "art_education" on the web.

          To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
          art_education-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.


          ---------------------------------






          ---------------------------------
          Yahoo! DSL Something to write home about. Just $16.99/mo. or less

          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        • Susan Bennett
          Nancy, What are you suggestions for starting subjects? What points to you make over and over? Do you start with contour and proceed to shading? How technical
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
          • 0 Attachment
            Nancy,
            What are you suggestions for starting subjects? What points to you make over and over? Do you start with contour and proceed to shading? How technical do you get with perspective and what light should do (classroom light is so diffused)
            Susan

            Nancy Lane Smith <VINNInRED@...> wrote:

            > I have recently fallen in love with pencil. I would love your ideas
            on lessons that the children progress with and also enjoy. I have been
            a multimedia junkie for so long, I am not sure my students would trust
            me I I said pencil only. Do you two have websites?
            > Susan in Ohio

            Susan:

            I don't have a website for my art teaching. No need. I used to have
            quite an extensive site for my portrait work. I do very large pastel
            portraits of show horse and dogs, but I simply got bored with that, I
            did it for 20 years and I sold almost 1,000 paintings. I just don't
            have the desire to work that hard any more, creating for other people.

            I do love to teach my students, though. It is very rewarding to see
            the lightbulb go off in their heads when you show them how to create
            what they see.

            As far as pencil work with the students....I am a huge believer in
            it!!! If you can draw what you see, you can then go on and use any
            medium with success. Plus, in the schools, art supplies are pricy and
            the schools have a hard time getting funds for that. With pencil, I
            buy gum erasers and explain the difference it can make compared to
            using a standard "pink" eraser, and we draw on big paper 11 X 18. It
            is SO much easier to teach them to draw when they draw a large sized
            subject.

            Nancy





            SPONSORED LINKS
            Fine art shipping Fine art giclee printing Buy fine art Art education Fine art inkjet paper Fine art printing

            ---------------------------------
            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS


            Visit your group "art_education" on the web.

            To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
            art_education-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.


            ---------------------------------






            ---------------------------------
            Yahoo! Photos
            Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays, whatever.

            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          • Susan Bennett
            oops advise should be advice! Susan Bennett wrote: Very good advise Susan in Ohio ... on lessons that the children progress with and
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
            • 0 Attachment
              oops advise should be advice!

              Susan Bennett <ssn_bennett@...> wrote: Very good advise
              Susan in Ohio

              Nancy Lane Smith <VINNInRED@...> wrote:

              > I have recently fallen in love with pencil. I would love your ideas
              on lessons that the children progress with and also enjoy. I have been
              a multimedia junkie for so long, I am not sure my students would trust
              me I I said pencil only. Do you two have websites?
              > Susan in Ohio

              Susan:

              I don't have a website for my art teaching. No need. I used to have
              quite an extensive site for my portrait work. I do very large pastel
              portraits of show horse and dogs, but I simply got bored with that, I
              did it for 20 years and I sold almost 1,000 paintings. I just don't
              have the desire to work that hard any more, creating for other people.

              I do love to teach my students, though. It is very rewarding to see
              the lightbulb go off in their heads when you show them how to create
              what they see.

              As far as pencil work with the students....I am a huge believer in
              it!!! If you can draw what you see, you can then go on and use any
              medium with success. Plus, in the schools, art supplies are pricy and
              the schools have a hard time getting funds for that. With pencil, I
              buy gum erasers and explain the difference it can make compared to
              using a standard "pink" eraser, and we draw on big paper 11 X 18. It
              is SO much easier to teach them to draw when they draw a large sized
              subject.

              Nancy





              SPONSORED LINKS
              Fine art shipping Fine art giclee printing Buy fine art Art education Fine art inkjet paper Fine art printing

              ---------------------------------
              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS


              Visit your group "art_education" on the web.

              To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
              art_education-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.


              ---------------------------------






              ---------------------------------
              Yahoo! DSL Something to write home about. Just $16.99/mo. or less

              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



              SPONSORED LINKS
              Fine art shipping Fine art giclee printing Buy fine art Art education Fine art inkjet paper Fine art printing

              ---------------------------------
              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS


              Visit your group "art_education" on the web.

              To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
              art_education-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.


              ---------------------------------






              ---------------------------------
              Yahoo! DSL Something to write home about. Just $16.99/mo. or less

              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            • Nancy Lane Smith
              ... I start in 2nd grade with directed drawing subjects. I find that animal subjects alway keep the kid s attention much better than still life type of
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
              • 0 Attachment
                --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Susan Bennett
                <ssn_bennett@y...> wrote:
                >
                > Nancy,
                > What are you suggestions for starting subjects?


                I start in 2nd grade with directed drawing subjects. I find that
                animal subjects alway keep the kid's attention much better than still
                life type of subjects. I teach line art to 2nd grade....no shading
                or light discussions. These are 2nd graders and they are thrilled to
                be drawing a killer whale, dolphin, schools of fish, great white
                sharks, etc. Once their confidence is up and they KNOW that they can
                do it, I move into mostly line art mammals, like horses. Then I can
                teach them how to make hair look real. They get a great kick out of
                drawing real looking horses! Each one looks different and has it's
                own style, and I get to explain what "style" is. By the end of they
                year, I do get into shading very briefly, but mostly I don't
                introduce that until 3rd Grade.

                Nancy in CA
              • Susan Bennett
                By direct drawing, do you mean you draw and then they draw, or you guide through some form of observation? Susan ... I start in 2nd grade with directed drawing
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 3, 2006
                • 0 Attachment
                  By direct drawing, do you mean you draw and then they draw, or you guide through some form of observation?
                  Susan

                  Nancy Lane Smith <VINNInRED@...> wrote:
                  --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Susan Bennett
                  <ssn_bennett@y...> wrote:
                  >
                  > Nancy,
                  > What are you suggestions for starting subjects?


                  I start in 2nd grade with directed drawing subjects. I find that
                  animal subjects alway keep the kid's attention much better than still
                  life type of subjects. I teach line art to 2nd grade....no shading
                  or light discussions. These are 2nd graders and they are thrilled to
                  be drawing a killer whale, dolphin, schools of fish, great white
                  sharks, etc. Once their confidence is up and they KNOW that they can
                  do it, I move into mostly line art mammals, like horses. Then I can
                  teach them how to make hair look real. They get a great kick out of
                  drawing real looking horses! Each one looks different and has it's
                  own style, and I get to explain what "style" is. By the end of they
                  year, I do get into shading very briefly, but mostly I don't
                  introduce that until 3rd Grade.

                  Nancy in CA





                  SPONSORED LINKS
                  Fine art shipping Fine art giclee printing Buy fine art Art education Fine art inkjet paper Fine art printing

                  ---------------------------------
                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS


                  Visit your group "art_education" on the web.

                  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                  art_education-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.


                  ---------------------------------






                  ---------------------------------
                  Yahoo! Photos
                  Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays, whatever.

                  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.