Re: [art_education] Pencil art teacher

  • Susan Bennett
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
      Karylyn and Nancy,
      I have recently fallen in love with pencil. I would love your ideas on lessons that the children progress with and also enjoy. I have been a multimedia junkie for so long, I am not sure my students would trust me I I said pencil only. Do you two have websites?
      Susan in Ohio

      ~* Karlyn *~ <karlynsmail@...> wrote:
      Hello Nancy and everyone,
      Happy New Year!
      I just started teaching art classes twice a week in So.California as well..
      to 3rd through 6th graders.. very similar to your situation Nancy. Most of
      what we do is pencil based as well. I have enjoyed drawing myself on and off
      over the years, but am new to teaching it. Computer Lab is what I normally
      teach, for the last 5 years. I was wondering if you would be interested in
      sharing your Pencil Art curriculum or some of your favorite lessons with me?
      Thank you so much,
      Karlyn

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
        Judy Decker is the one to ask.

        Nancy L Smith <VINNInRED@...> wrote: Is there a place on this list where we can post photos of the lesson
        subjects? I would have to scan them individually....I think some may be
        too big for my scanner, but some would be fine.

        Nancy in CA (Modesto)

        On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 09:33:34 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time) "~* Karlyn *~"
        <karlynsmail@...> writes:
        > Hello Nancy and everyone,
        > Happy New Year!
        > I just started teaching art classes twice a week in So.California as
        > well..
        > to 3rd through 6th graders.. very similar to your situation Nancy.
        > Most of
        > what we do is pencil based as well. I have enjoyed drawing myself on
        > and off
        > over the years, but am new to teaching it. Computer Lab is what I
        > normally
        > teach, for the last 5 years. I was wondering if you would be
        > interested in
        > sharing your Pencil Art curriculum or some of your favorite lessons
        > with me?
        > Thank you so much,
        > Karlyn

        Fine art shipping Fine art giclee printing Buy fine art Art education Fine art inkjet paper Fine art printing

        ---------------------------------

      • Nancy Lane Smith
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
          Susan Bennett <ssn_bennett@y...> wrote:

          > Judy Decker is the one to ask.
          >
          > Nancy L Smith <VINNInRED@j...> wrote: Is there a place on this list
          where we can post photos of the lesson
          > subjects?

          Judy:

          What does one do in a situation like this? Is there a place to post
          some pencil drawings that I teach my students?

          Nancy in CA
        • Nancy Lane Smith
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
            > I have recently fallen in love with pencil. I would love your ideas
            on lessons that the children progress with and also enjoy. I have been
            a multimedia junkie for so long, I am not sure my students would trust
            me I I said pencil only. Do you two have websites?
            > Susan in Ohio

            Susan:

            I don't have a website for my art teaching. No need. I used to have
            quite an extensive site for my portrait work. I do very large pastel
            portraits of show horse and dogs, but I simply got bored with that, I
            did it for 20 years and I sold almost 1,000 paintings. I just don't
            have the desire to work that hard any more, creating for other people.

            I do love to teach my students, though. It is very rewarding to see
            the lightbulb go off in their heads when you show them how to create
            what they see.

            As far as pencil work with the students....I am a huge believer in
            it!!! If you can draw what you see, you can then go on and use any
            medium with success. Plus, in the schools, art supplies are pricy and
            the schools have a hard time getting funds for that. With pencil, I
            buy gum erasers and explain the difference it can make compared to
            using a standard "pink" eraser, and we draw on big paper 11 X 18. It
            is SO much easier to teach them to draw when they draw a large sized
            subject.

            Nancy
          • Susan Bennett
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
              Very good advise
              Susan in Ohio

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
                Nancy,
                What are you suggestions for starting subjects? What points to you make over and over? Do you start with contour and proceed to shading? How technical do you get with perspective and what light should do (classroom light is so diffused)
                Susan

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
                  oops advise should be advice!

                  Susan Bennett <ssn_bennett@...> wrote: Very good advise

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
                    --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Susan Bennett
                    <ssn_bennett@y...> wrote:

                    > Nancy,
                    > What are you suggestions for starting subjects?

                    I start in 2nd grade with directed drawing subjects. I find that
                    animal subjects alway keep the kid's attention much better than still
                    life type of subjects. I teach line art to 2nd grade....no shading
                    or light discussions. These are 2nd graders and they are thrilled to
                    be drawing a killer whale, dolphin, schools of fish, great white
                    sharks, etc. Once their confidence is up and they KNOW that they can
                    do it, I move into mostly line art mammals, like horses. Then I can
                    teach them how to make hair look real. They get a great kick out of
                    drawing real looking horses! Each one looks different and has it's
                    own style, and I get to explain what "style" is. By the end of they
                    year, I do get into shading very briefly, but mostly I don't
                    introduce that until 3rd Grade.

                    Nancy in CA
                  • Susan Bennett
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 3, 2006
                      By direct drawing, do you mean you draw and then they draw, or you guide through some form of observation?
                      Susan