Re: [art_education] Pencil art teacher

  • emilytycast@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2 10:09 AM
      I too teach elementary art and I work with very limited resources (I'm
      on a cart). I think it would be very helpful for me to get some ideas
      for doing pencil art.
      Thanks,
      Emily

        Hi, everyone! I'm new here, but not new to teaching art. I work two
        days a week at a local elementary school where I teach the basics of
        drawing using pencil only. I love it. I teach every student from 2nd
        grade through 6th grade and it is wonderful to see their progression
        from simple line art animals at the younger ages, to landscapes and
        portrait work in the 5th and 6th grades. I feel very blessed.

        Nancy in California

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        ---------------------------------

      • Susan Bennett
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2 11:48 AM
          Judy Decker is the one to ask.

          Nancy L Smith <VINNInRED@...> wrote: Is there a place on this list where we can post photos of the lesson

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 2 3:24 PM
            Susan Bennett <ssn_bennett@y...> wrote:

            > Judy Decker is the one to ask.
            >
            > Nancy L Smith <VINNInRED@j...> wrote: Is there a place on this list
            where we can post photos of the lesson
            > subjects?

            Judy:

            What does one do in a situation like this? Is there a place to post
            some pencil drawings that I teach my students?

            Nancy in CA
          • Nancy Lane Smith
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 2 3:33 PM
              > I have recently fallen in love with pencil. I would love your ideas
              on lessons that the children progress with and also enjoy. I have been
              a multimedia junkie for so long, I am not sure my students would trust
              me I I said pencil only. Do you two have websites?
              > Susan in Ohio

              Susan:

              I don't have a website for my art teaching. No need. I used to have
              quite an extensive site for my portrait work. I do very large pastel
              portraits of show horse and dogs, but I simply got bored with that, I
              did it for 20 years and I sold almost 1,000 paintings. I just don't
              have the desire to work that hard any more, creating for other people.

              I do love to teach my students, though. It is very rewarding to see
              the lightbulb go off in their heads when you show them how to create
              what they see.

              As far as pencil work with the students....I am a huge believer in
              it!!! If you can draw what you see, you can then go on and use any
              medium with success. Plus, in the schools, art supplies are pricy and
              the schools have a hard time getting funds for that. With pencil, I
              buy gum erasers and explain the difference it can make compared to
              using a standard "pink" eraser, and we draw on big paper 11 X 18. It
              is SO much easier to teach them to draw when they draw a large sized
              subject.

              Nancy
            • Susan Bennett
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 2 4:56 PM
                Very good advise
                Susan in Ohio

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 2 5:01 PM
                  Nancy,
                  What are you suggestions for starting subjects? What points to you make over and over? Do you start with contour and proceed to shading? How technical do you get with perspective and what light should do (classroom light is so diffused)
                  Susan

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 2 5:02 PM
                    oops advise should be advice!

                    Susan Bennett <ssn_bennett@...> wrote: Very good advise

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 2 5:54 PM
                      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Susan Bennett
                      <ssn_bennett@y...> wrote:

                      > Nancy,
                      > What are you suggestions for starting subjects?

                      I start in 2nd grade with directed drawing subjects. I find that
                      animal subjects alway keep the kid's attention much better than still
                      life type of subjects. I teach line art to 2nd grade....no shading
                      or light discussions. These are 2nd graders and they are thrilled to
                      be drawing a killer whale, dolphin, schools of fish, great white
                      sharks, etc. Once their confidence is up and they KNOW that they can
                      do it, I move into mostly line art mammals, like horses. Then I can
                      teach them how to make hair look real. They get a great kick out of
                      drawing real looking horses! Each one looks different and has it's
                      own style, and I get to explain what "style" is. By the end of they
                      year, I do get into shading very briefly, but mostly I don't
                      introduce that until 3rd Grade.

                      Nancy in CA
                    • Susan Bennett
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 3 6:58 PM
                        By direct drawing, do you mean you draw and then they draw, or you guide through some form of observation?
                        Susan