Re: [art_education] Pencil art teacher

  • Nancy L Smith
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
      Is there a place on this list where we can post photos of the lesson
      subjects? I would have to scan them individually....I think some may be
      too big for my scanner, but some would be fine.

      Nancy in CA (Modesto)

    • emilytycast@netscape.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
        I too teach elementary art and I work with very limited resources (I'm
        on a cart). I think it would be very helpful for me to get some ideas
        for doing pencil art.
        Thanks,
        Emily

        Is there a place on this list where we can post photos of the lesson
        subjects? I would have to scan them individually....I think some may be
        too big for my scanner, but some would be fine.

        Nancy in CA (Modesto)

        On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 09:33:34 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time) "~* Karlyn
        *~"
        <karlynsmail@...> writes:
        > Hello Nancy and everyone,
        > Happy New Year!
        > I just started teaching art classes twice a week in So.California as
        > well..
        > to 3rd through 6th graders.. very similar to your situation Nancy.
        > Most of
        > what we do is pencil based as well. I have enjoyed drawing myself on
        > and off
        > over the years, but am new to teaching it. Computer Lab is what I
        > normally
        > teach, for the last 5 years. I was wondering if you would be
        > interested in
        > sharing your Pencil Art curriculum or some of your favorite lessons
        > with me?
        > Thank you so much,
        > Karlyn

        Fine art shipping Fine art giclee printing Buy fine art
        Art education Fine art inkjet paper Fine art printing

        --------
        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "art_education" on the web.

        --------

        Try the New Netscape Mail Today!
        http://mail.netscape.com
      • Susan Bennett

          Hi, everyone! I'm new here, but not new to teaching art. I work two
          days a week at a local elementary school where I teach the basics of
          drawing using pencil only. I love it. I teach every student from 2nd
          grade through 6th grade and it is wonderful to see their progression
          from simple line art animals at the younger ages, to landscapes and
          portrait work in the 5th and 6th grades. I feel very blessed.

          Nancy in California

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          ---------------------------------

        • Susan Bennett
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
            Judy Decker is the one to ask.

            Nancy L Smith <VINNInRED@...> wrote: Is there a place on this list where we can post photos of the lesson

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
              Susan Bennett <ssn_bennett@y...> wrote:

              > Judy Decker is the one to ask.
              >
              > Nancy L Smith <VINNInRED@j...> wrote: Is there a place on this list
              where we can post photos of the lesson
              > subjects?

              Judy:

              What does one do in a situation like this? Is there a place to post
              some pencil drawings that I teach my students?

              Nancy in CA
            • Nancy Lane Smith
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
                > I have recently fallen in love with pencil. I would love your ideas
                on lessons that the children progress with and also enjoy. I have been
                a multimedia junkie for so long, I am not sure my students would trust
                me I I said pencil only. Do you two have websites?
                > Susan in Ohio

                Susan:

                I don't have a website for my art teaching. No need. I used to have
                quite an extensive site for my portrait work. I do very large pastel
                portraits of show horse and dogs, but I simply got bored with that, I
                did it for 20 years and I sold almost 1,000 paintings. I just don't
                have the desire to work that hard any more, creating for other people.

                I do love to teach my students, though. It is very rewarding to see
                the lightbulb go off in their heads when you show them how to create
                what they see.

                As far as pencil work with the students....I am a huge believer in
                it!!! If you can draw what you see, you can then go on and use any
                medium with success. Plus, in the schools, art supplies are pricy and
                the schools have a hard time getting funds for that. With pencil, I
                buy gum erasers and explain the difference it can make compared to
                using a standard "pink" eraser, and we draw on big paper 11 X 18. It
                is SO much easier to teach them to draw when they draw a large sized
                subject.

                Nancy
              • Susan Bennett
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
                  Very good advise
                  Susan in Ohio

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
                    Nancy,
                    What are you suggestions for starting subjects? What points to you make over and over? Do you start with contour and proceed to shading? How technical do you get with perspective and what light should do (classroom light is so diffused)
                    Susan

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
                      oops advise should be advice!

                      Susan Bennett <ssn_bennett@...> wrote: Very good advise

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
                        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Susan Bennett
                        <ssn_bennett@y...> wrote:

                        > Nancy,
                        > What are you suggestions for starting subjects?

                        I start in 2nd grade with directed drawing subjects. I find that
                        animal subjects alway keep the kid's attention much better than still
                        life type of subjects. I teach line art to 2nd grade....no shading
                        or light discussions. These are 2nd graders and they are thrilled to
                        be drawing a killer whale, dolphin, schools of fish, great white
                        sharks, etc. Once their confidence is up and they KNOW that they can
                        do it, I move into mostly line art mammals, like horses. Then I can
                        teach them how to make hair look real. They get a great kick out of
                        drawing real looking horses! Each one looks different and has it's
                        own style, and I get to explain what "style" is. By the end of they
                        year, I do get into shading very briefly, but mostly I don't
                        introduce that until 3rd Grade.

                        Nancy in CA
                      • Susan Bennett
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 3, 2006
                          By direct drawing, do you mean you draw and then they draw, or you guide through some form of observation?
                          Susan