Re: [art_education] Pencil art teacher

  • ~* Karlyn *~
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
      Hello Nancy and everyone,
      Happy New Year!
      I just started teaching art classes twice a week in So.California as well..
      to 3rd through 6th graders.. very similar to your situation Nancy. Most of
      what we do is pencil based as well. I have enjoyed drawing myself on and off
      over the years, but am new to teaching it. Computer Lab is what I normally
      teach, for the last 5 years. I was wondering if you would be interested in
      sharing your Pencil Art curriculum or some of your favorite lessons with me?
      Thank you so much,
      Karlyn

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
        Is there a place on this list where we can post photos of the lesson
        subjects? I would have to scan them individually....I think some may be
        too big for my scanner, but some would be fine.

        Nancy in CA (Modesto)

      • emilytycast@netscape.net
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
          I too teach elementary art and I work with very limited resources (I'm
          on a cart). I think it would be very helpful for me to get some ideas
          for doing pencil art.
          Thanks,
          Emily

          Is there a place on this list where we can post photos of the lesson
          subjects? I would have to scan them individually....I think some may be
          too big for my scanner, but some would be fine.

          Nancy in CA (Modesto)

          On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 09:33:34 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time) "~* Karlyn
          *~"
          <karlynsmail@...> writes:
          > Hello Nancy and everyone,
          > Happy New Year!
          > I just started teaching art classes twice a week in So.California as
          > well..
          > to 3rd through 6th graders.. very similar to your situation Nancy.
          > Most of
          > what we do is pencil based as well. I have enjoyed drawing myself on
          > and off
          > over the years, but am new to teaching it. Computer Lab is what I
          > normally
          > teach, for the last 5 years. I was wondering if you would be
          > interested in
          > sharing your Pencil Art curriculum or some of your favorite lessons
          > with me?
          > Thank you so much,
          > Karlyn

          Fine art shipping Fine art giclee printing Buy fine art
          Art education Fine art inkjet paper Fine art printing

          --------
          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "art_education" on the web.

          --------

          Try the New Netscape Mail Today!
          http://mail.netscape.com
        • Susan Bennett

            Hi, everyone! I'm new here, but not new to teaching art. I work two
            days a week at a local elementary school where I teach the basics of
            drawing using pencil only. I love it. I teach every student from 2nd
            grade through 6th grade and it is wonderful to see their progression
            from simple line art animals at the younger ages, to landscapes and
            portrait work in the 5th and 6th grades. I feel very blessed.

            Nancy in California

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            ---------------------------------

          • Susan Bennett
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
              Judy Decker is the one to ask.

              Nancy L Smith <VINNInRED@...> wrote: Is there a place on this list where we can post photos of the lesson

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
                Susan Bennett <ssn_bennett@y...> wrote:

                > Judy Decker is the one to ask.
                >
                > Nancy L Smith <VINNInRED@j...> wrote: Is there a place on this list
                where we can post photos of the lesson
                > subjects?

                Judy:

                What does one do in a situation like this? Is there a place to post
                some pencil drawings that I teach my students?

                Nancy in CA
              • Nancy Lane Smith
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
                  > I have recently fallen in love with pencil. I would love your ideas
                  on lessons that the children progress with and also enjoy. I have been
                  a multimedia junkie for so long, I am not sure my students would trust
                  me I I said pencil only. Do you two have websites?
                  > Susan in Ohio

                  Susan:

                  I don't have a website for my art teaching. No need. I used to have
                  quite an extensive site for my portrait work. I do very large pastel
                  portraits of show horse and dogs, but I simply got bored with that, I
                  did it for 20 years and I sold almost 1,000 paintings. I just don't
                  have the desire to work that hard any more, creating for other people.

                  I do love to teach my students, though. It is very rewarding to see
                  the lightbulb go off in their heads when you show them how to create
                  what they see.

                  As far as pencil work with the students....I am a huge believer in
                  it!!! If you can draw what you see, you can then go on and use any
                  medium with success. Plus, in the schools, art supplies are pricy and
                  the schools have a hard time getting funds for that. With pencil, I
                  buy gum erasers and explain the difference it can make compared to
                  using a standard "pink" eraser, and we draw on big paper 11 X 18. It
                  is SO much easier to teach them to draw when they draw a large sized
                  subject.

                  Nancy
                • Susan Bennett
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
                    Very good advise
                    Susan in Ohio

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
                      Nancy,
                      What are you suggestions for starting subjects? What points to you make over and over? Do you start with contour and proceed to shading? How technical do you get with perspective and what light should do (classroom light is so diffused)
                      Susan

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
                        oops advise should be advice!

                        Susan Bennett <ssn_bennett@...> wrote: Very good advise

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
                          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Susan Bennett
                          <ssn_bennett@y...> wrote:

                          > Nancy,
                          > What are you suggestions for starting subjects?

                          I start in 2nd grade with directed drawing subjects. I find that
                          animal subjects alway keep the kid's attention much better than still
                          life type of subjects. I teach line art to 2nd grade....no shading
                          or light discussions. These are 2nd graders and they are thrilled to
                          be drawing a killer whale, dolphin, schools of fish, great white
                          sharks, etc. Once their confidence is up and they KNOW that they can
                          do it, I move into mostly line art mammals, like horses. Then I can
                          teach them how to make hair look real. They get a great kick out of
                          drawing real looking horses! Each one looks different and has it's
                          own style, and I get to explain what "style" is. By the end of they
                          year, I do get into shading very briefly, but mostly I don't
                          introduce that until 3rd Grade.

                          Nancy in CA
                        • Susan Bennett
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 3, 2006
                            By direct drawing, do you mean you draw and then they draw, or you guide through some form of observation?
                            Susan