Pencil art teacher

  • Nancy Lane Smith
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
      Hi, everyone! I'm new here, but not new to teaching art. I work two
      days a week at a local elementary school where I teach the basics of
      drawing using pencil only. I love it. I teach every student from 2nd
      grade through 6th grade and it is wonderful to see their progression
      from simple line art animals at the younger ages, to landscapes and
      portrait work in the 5th and 6th grades. I feel very blessed.

      Nancy in California
    • ~* Karlyn *~
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
        Hello Nancy and everyone,
        Happy New Year!
        I just started teaching art classes twice a week in So.California as well..
        to 3rd through 6th graders.. very similar to your situation Nancy. Most of
        what we do is pencil based as well. I have enjoyed drawing myself on and off
        over the years, but am new to teaching it. Computer Lab is what I normally
        teach, for the last 5 years. I was wondering if you would be interested in
        sharing your Pencil Art curriculum or some of your favorite lessons with me?
        Thank you so much,
        Karlyn

        Hi, everyone! I'm new here, but not new to teaching art. I work two
        days a week at a local elementary school where I teach the basics of
        drawing using pencil only. I love it. I teach every student from 2nd
        grade through 6th grade and it is wonderful to see their progression
        from simple line art animals at the younger ages, to landscapes and
        portrait work in the 5th and 6th grades. I feel very blessed.

        Nancy in California

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Nancy L Smith
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
          Is there a place on this list where we can post photos of the lesson
          subjects? I would have to scan them individually....I think some may be
          too big for my scanner, but some would be fine.

          Nancy in CA (Modesto)

        • emilytycast@netscape.net
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
            I too teach elementary art and I work with very limited resources (I'm
            on a cart). I think it would be very helpful for me to get some ideas
            for doing pencil art.
            Thanks,
            Emily

            Is there a place on this list where we can post photos of the lesson
            subjects? I would have to scan them individually....I think some may be
            too big for my scanner, but some would be fine.

            Nancy in CA (Modesto)

            On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 09:33:34 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time) "~* Karlyn
            *~"
            <karlynsmail@...> writes:
            > Hello Nancy and everyone,
            > Happy New Year!
            > I just started teaching art classes twice a week in So.California as
            > well..
            > to 3rd through 6th graders.. very similar to your situation Nancy.
            > Most of
            > what we do is pencil based as well. I have enjoyed drawing myself on
            > and off
            > over the years, but am new to teaching it. Computer Lab is what I
            > normally
            > teach, for the last 5 years. I was wondering if you would be
            > interested in
            > sharing your Pencil Art curriculum or some of your favorite lessons
            > with me?
            > Thank you so much,
            > Karlyn

            Fine art shipping Fine art giclee printing Buy fine art
            Art education Fine art inkjet paper Fine art printing

            --------
            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            * Visit your group "art_education" on the web.

            --------

            Try the New Netscape Mail Today!
            http://mail.netscape.com
          • Susan Bennett

              Hi, everyone! I'm new here, but not new to teaching art. I work two
              days a week at a local elementary school where I teach the basics of
              drawing using pencil only. I love it. I teach every student from 2nd
              grade through 6th grade and it is wonderful to see their progression
              from simple line art animals at the younger ages, to landscapes and
              portrait work in the 5th and 6th grades. I feel very blessed.

              Nancy in California

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              ---------------------------------

            • Susan Bennett
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
                Judy Decker is the one to ask.

                Nancy L Smith <VINNInRED@...> wrote: Is there a place on this list where we can post photos of the lesson

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
                  Susan Bennett <ssn_bennett@y...> wrote:

                  > Judy Decker is the one to ask.
                  >
                  > Nancy L Smith <VINNInRED@j...> wrote: Is there a place on this list
                  where we can post photos of the lesson
                  > subjects?

                  Judy:

                  What does one do in a situation like this? Is there a place to post
                  some pencil drawings that I teach my students?

                  Nancy in CA
                • Nancy Lane Smith
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
                    > I have recently fallen in love with pencil. I would love your ideas
                    on lessons that the children progress with and also enjoy. I have been
                    a multimedia junkie for so long, I am not sure my students would trust
                    me I I said pencil only. Do you two have websites?
                    > Susan in Ohio

                    Susan:

                    I don't have a website for my art teaching. No need. I used to have
                    quite an extensive site for my portrait work. I do very large pastel
                    portraits of show horse and dogs, but I simply got bored with that, I
                    did it for 20 years and I sold almost 1,000 paintings. I just don't
                    have the desire to work that hard any more, creating for other people.

                    I do love to teach my students, though. It is very rewarding to see
                    the lightbulb go off in their heads when you show them how to create
                    what they see.

                    As far as pencil work with the students....I am a huge believer in
                    it!!! If you can draw what you see, you can then go on and use any
                    medium with success. Plus, in the schools, art supplies are pricy and
                    the schools have a hard time getting funds for that. With pencil, I
                    buy gum erasers and explain the difference it can make compared to
                    using a standard "pink" eraser, and we draw on big paper 11 X 18. It
                    is SO much easier to teach them to draw when they draw a large sized
                    subject.

                    Nancy
                  • Susan Bennett
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
                      Very good advise
                      Susan in Ohio

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
                        Nancy,
                        What are you suggestions for starting subjects? What points to you make over and over? Do you start with contour and proceed to shading? How technical do you get with perspective and what light should do (classroom light is so diffused)
                        Susan

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
                          oops advise should be advice!

                          Susan Bennett <ssn_bennett@...> wrote: Very good advise

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 2, 2006
                            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Susan Bennett
                            <ssn_bennett@y...> wrote:

                            > Nancy,
                            > What are you suggestions for starting subjects?

                            I start in 2nd grade with directed drawing subjects. I find that
                            animal subjects alway keep the kid's attention much better than still
                            life type of subjects. I teach line art to 2nd grade....no shading
                            or light discussions. These are 2nd graders and they are thrilled to
                            be drawing a killer whale, dolphin, schools of fish, great white
                            sharks, etc. Once their confidence is up and they KNOW that they can
                            do it, I move into mostly line art mammals, like horses. Then I can
                            teach them how to make hair look real. They get a great kick out of
                            drawing real looking horses! Each one looks different and has it's
                            own style, and I get to explain what "style" is. By the end of they
                            year, I do get into shading very briefly, but mostly I don't
                            introduce that until 3rd Grade.

                            Nancy in CA
                          • Susan Bennett
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 3, 2006
                              By direct drawing, do you mean you draw and then they draw, or you guide through some form of observation?
                              Susan