Contemporary African Art - Online Exhibit

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2005
      Dear Art Educators,

      I am updating links today..... I found this new-to-me online exhibit
      from the National Museum of African Art.

      http://africa.si.edu/exhibits/pigozzi/index.html

      African Art Now: Masterpieces from the Jean Pigozzi Collection
      November 16, 2005--February 26, 2006

      (Copied from the site)
      The collection of Swiss entrepreneur and photographer Jean Pigozzi,
      now known as the Contemporary African Art Collection (CAAC), offers a
      sweeping survey of the brilliant invention of artists throughout the
      great expanse of sub-Saharan Africa.

      African Art Now: Masterpieces from the Jean Pigozzi Collection
      profiles 28 artists from 15 African countries, all of whom came of age
      in Africa and maintain close ties to their native countries. No single
      tradition or method unites these artists. Rather, they reflect the
      complex heritage of Africa today and respond to both the historic
      traditions of their local cultures and the new era of international
      globalism.
      I browsed the collection by Artist - there are some really interesting works.

      Incredible Art Resources