Re: doing portraits

  • vicseng
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 28, 2005
      I think the best way to start off portraits is to practice a face
      grid. I give the kids a 9x12 piece of manila paper have them fold it
      in half 3 times. That gives you an 8 section grid. Then you can
      discuss formal placement and variance in shape and they can practice
      penciling things in correct proportions.

      Using pastels is an easy way to begin too. They are very generous in
      correcting mistakes.

      I have used the Usborne Art Ideas Book called "Drawing Faces" for all
      ages and levels. The projects are easy to adapt and always turn out
      great!

      vicki