prismacolor pencil & ink on duralar

  • Lianne Ruppel
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2005
      Dear Art Teacher Groupies,

      As a former illustrator (for 25 years), I have used
      prismacolor pencils for fun and profit for years.

      I ALWAYS HAVE MY STUDENTS USE DURALAR (the commercial
      name for double-sided mylar, available at blueprint
      supply stores everywhere) as their medium on which to
      draw.

      Prismacolor on Duralar erases completely with white
      plastic erasers and BLENDS LIKE BUTTER provided you
      have quality pencils like prismacolor or durwent (not
      crayola or prang or the cheap ones. . .)

      Tell them to press hard and NEVER USE A REGULAR PENCIL
      TO SKETCH. Regular pencil smudges very darkly. (TRACE
      FROM THE SKETCH UNDERNEATH THE MYLAR OR USE AN "E3"
      PENCIL, available at blueprint supply places, on the
      mylar surface.)

      YOU CAN WORK ON BOTH SIDES OF THE MYLAR for subtle
      background effects or to pale down some tones in your
      piece...

      There are NO RICHER REDS anywhere than poppy red and
      scarlet red on mylar! Not even Dr Martins
      dyes/watercolors straight from the bottle are as red.

      When completed, you will notice a grayness to the
      translucent surface, but this is corrected by turning
      the mylar/Duralar surface over, taping it down on all
      four sides to a board, and spray painting it flat
      latex white. Do this especially if it is going to be
      photo scanned for reproduction.

      I also use DURALAR for pen and ink. I start the class
      on translucent vidalon or vellum with cheapo ink, then
      graduate the best students to more expensive duralar
      with special T1000 ink for film and plastic, and . . .

      "ERRORS" CAN BE ERASED COMPLETELY WITH A DAMP WHITE
      PLASTIC ERASER !!!!!.
      Students love that. They simply do a sketch on paper,
      place the duralar over it and tape it down, then pen
      and ink it in.

      Hope ya'll have good results!

      Lianne in Tennessee
      (lilirupes@...)