Prisma Color assignment

  • Peri Raygor-Yanez
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2005
      I learned from my teacher and was able to share this with my
      students: Snip strands of shiny ribbon. Each person gets three
      prismacolors: a dark and light of one color and a white. Use the
      light color as your medium. Use this rubric: never blend the white
      into the dark color and always hatch in the same direction as the
      flow of the ribbon (never from edge to edge). Blend the dark into
      the medium and the white into the medium. Draw the ribbon showing the
      highlights and shadow tones. After this learning process, allow the
      students to create their own composition of ribbons on a 5x8 area.
      (Colored pencil takes a long time). Another project involves flower
      petals and their shadows and highlignts. This also works on colored
      paper. Lay down the white first then color on top of the white for
      vibrant hues on a dark background.

      Peri Raygor-Yanez
    • Dodi Schwab
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2005
        Cristina Coro <Cristina.Coro@...> wrote I eventually want them to do a simple
        assignment

        Hi Cristina,
        I haven't checked in for quite a while--so this reply is slow in coming. I just finished a colored pencil project with my ninth-grade class. None of them have had art before and many would prefer not to have it now! I adapted this lesson from this website:
        geocities.com/theartkids/
        click on Art Lessons 7-12--I used the lesson called "sphere drawings."
        First I had my class draw 7 circles with a compass on 81/2" x 11" paper. We worked on shading techniques with a regular pencil. Once the composition was good, the circles were redrawn on a new paper. They were asked to choose four analogous colors and shade the spheres with colored pencils. We used really cheap (15 cents a box from Wal-Mart!) pencils. I think the brand was Rose art. We were able to model them a bit with pencil erasers. This project was very hard for my class--but they came out okay. I just put them up in a highly visible hall at school. My class is enjoying all the complements they are getting!
        Dodi